Can cats really smell illness?

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have heard about cats being able to smell cancer or illness before, but never 100% believed it...but my kitty girl Khaleesi (who has been described by friends as being extremely "in tune" with me)  just might have convinced me. I have had pain in my nose and a lump for a few days, eventually went to the doc and they believe it is most likely a case of nasal cellulitis (a type of infection) so put me on antibiotics and pain meds. There is nothing visibly wrong with my nose, it isn't draining or anything, just painful and a bit swollen...however Khaleesi noticed something. She was cuddling with me, all limp and purring in my arms with eyes closed when I leaned down to kiss her. As I started to pull away after the kiss her breathing pattern changed to the one she has when she smells something interesting (rapid breaths) and she started to clearly "follow" whatever she smelled and ended up sniffing exactly where the pain is in my nose. She sniffed for a good few seconds before pulling away with wide eyes, like she was scared almost. I have never seen her do anything like that before, she clearly smelled whatever is going on with my nose and was very concerned. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes.
  I've had mine.. particularly my girl, sit or lie very close to the parts of me that aren't too well. 

And you've probably seen this book that has been around for a while.. written by a doctor in a nursing home who insist that Oscar could predict when someone was going to die.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm overweight (losing weight btw), I have a problem with adema where my feet and ankles will balloon. In that area and due to poor circulation I have some discoloration there as if skin is dying. I notice some of my cats will sniff that area often like they know something isn't right.

I also have a tendency to attract feral, stray cats and they warm up to me easily. I guess that perhaps the feral/stray can relate to the loner type anti-social or introverted person. I deal with high anxiety, depression and social issues and I think perhaps cats can sense that and ferals can relate to me. I can't find any other logical explanation for my "gift" of attracting ferals and taming them to become loving, trusting semi-domesticated cats. I have three ferals that get up in bed with me, will snuggle with me, nuzzle me and crave petting/attention from me. I am Papa to them. <3

So yeah.. I believe they can sense when you and parts of you aren't well. Maybe it's a sign I should schedule an appointment to have my legs checked. 

Unrelated, last year before taking in six ferals to foster myself and my mother would have feral cats following us around. That's how I ended up with the ferals I have because two followed me back and ran inside my house. They tipped off other cats and had four more show up at my place lol. I have a couple more that sit outside my door and wait. I say to myself, "Sorry, no more vacancies" because realistically I have to draw a line somewhere. Can't save, foster or feed them all even though I feel sorry for them and would like to.