Can Cats Help People Cope With Emotional/physical Problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 I had crappy parents too. My mother never did anything to me, but she just stood by and watched other things happen. I had cats, birds, hamsters, rabbits, and a ferret growing up, but they never lasted more than six months in my house. They’d just disappear. It was an unspoken rule in the house not to talk about it, but my father and his occult buddies would need them for their black magic and of course they’re no use to them while they’re alive.

I’m sorry that keeping pets as a child wasn’t a pleasant experience for you either. That’s one thing I’ve never had... a pet rat. I heard that the females can be kind of nippy, but the males are content to just hang out with you and be lap rats. It’s really sad that you’re kitten disappeared too. I can imagine you were really attached to him. Then again, we get attached to every pet that we have even though we try not to sometimes. Or at least I tried not to because of the way things were when I was brought up, but now I’m completely attached to my cats and they make me feel content and at ease when I’m at home.

Just know that like I’ve repeated to myself over and over through the years that what happened to your rat and cat weren’t your fault. The only person’s actions you can control are yours. It wasn’t you doing it and you weren’t just allowing it to happen either. You were a child and he was your father and no matter what you would have said or done, he wouldn’t have changed his mind. I am glad that he’s lightened up since then and treats animals better than he did in the past. I’m sure that makes you feel at least somewhat better.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 I had crappy parents too. My mother never did anything to me, but she just stood by and watched other things happen. I had cats, birds, hamsters, rabbits, and a ferret growing up, but they never lasted more than six months in my house. They’d just disappear. It was an unspoken rule in the house not to talk about it, but my father and his occult buddies would need them for their black magic and of course they’re no use to them while they’re alive. My father was and probably still is a horrible human being. When his actions changed from physical and emotional abuse to if you don’t behave I’ll do the same thing to you that I did to your animals, my mother and I left and she divorced him and I’ve never spoke to him since. I have a step father now and although he’s not my favorite person in the world, he’s good to my mom and much better than my biological father for sure.

I’m sorry that keeping pets as a child wasn’t a pleasant experience for you either. That’s one thing I’ve never had... a pet rat. I heard that the females can be kind of nippy, but the males are content to just hang out with you and be lap rats. It’s really sad that you’re kitten disappeared too. I can imagine you were really attached to him. Then again, we get attached to every pet that we have even though we try not to sometimes. Or at least I tried not to because of the way things were when I was brought up, but now I’m completely attached to my cats and they make me feel content and at ease when I’m at home.

Just know that like I’ve repeated to myself over and over through the years that what happened to your rat and cat weren’t your fault. The only person’s actions you can control are yours. It wasn’t you doing it and you weren’t just allowing it to happen either. You were a child and he was your father and no matter what you would have said or done, he wouldn’t have changed his mind. I am glad that he’s lightened up since then and treats animals better than he did in the past. I’m sure that makes you feel at least somewhat better.
Yeah sometimes family hurts you the most. But thank goodness you and your mom left when that happened! Better late than never.

Yeah the girl rats are energetic and always on the go. The boys are lazy and cuddly so I prefer them. They are extremely social animals so 2 is the minimum, as I later found out. I miss having them but it already costs a fortune to board the cats when my bf and I go off to vacation every year lol. And plus we do apartment living and we're already breaking rules with our third cat. ><

And yeah its definitely not on us for what happened to our pets. Still hurts a lot of course. But now we can help the animals in the world in our own ways. :)

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@whimsikitten I haven’t been in therapy in about a year and I think it’s time that I find a new one. I didn’t connect with the last therapist that I seen which made me not want to go back. I’m glad that you have a good support system. That is very important. I’m also very happy that your kitties have given you a good reason to smile. They can be such joyful and endearing little creatures.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that cats can help emotionally. Many years ago I was very close to being clinically depressed. I could not afford therapy and really did not have anyone to talk to about that. But I had a Opie and I knew I had to get up and go to work to get money to take care of her. She was there for me with no strings. She would just lie down beside me when I felt really bad and purr and it made things better.

Now I am in a very stressful situation. My husband has brain damage from chemo - he has memory loss, it is very difficult to learn new things, and he will just start yelling at me for no reason I can see. Also his mother who is 96 next month had to move in with us. She is in a wheelchair, half blind, half deaf, has an ostemy bag, can only eat soft food, etc. I have to make her food and put her to bed every night. Between both of them I spend hours every week taking of "business " things, doctor appts. etc. Plus my job is very stressful.

I foster kittens through a shelter. I tell people kittens (and gin) keep me sane. I come home and spend time with the kittens before dealing with the rest of the evening. Watching little kittens wrestle and play is so relaxing. And when I pick up my "permanent" cats and they just purr and want to be petted, it just calms my soul. As it is I sometimes feel like I am barely keeping my head above water, but without my cats I would be drowning.

It is so heartwarming to read how cats have helped people with more serious problems than mine. I do not doubt at all that the cats help you get through the days.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles Even though I’m not American, I appreciate your DH’s service. I cannot imagine how alone you felt when he deployed the first time, but I’m glad that you weren’t alone the second time around and had Mooch and Noodles for company. I love their names, by the way. :)

You know what? I think that is similar to what the feeling is. I remember when I was young and I had a electric heating blanket, the warmth of it as I snuggled under the covers always brought me a lot of comfort.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 I’m glad that we left too. When I talk to people who don’t know me or my life story about my Dad, they never realize that I’m actually talking about my stepfather. I was close with him before my parents got married. He was one of my school teachers and he took interest in me when he realized I didn’t have any interest in school. He tried to get me into it, but other than math I didn’t care about any of it. He met my mom at a parent teacher conference after she divorced my biological father and they hit it off and have been together ever since.

It’s weird how animals that you don’t think would be social such as a rat, need a buddy in order to be able to thrive. I can only imagine how much your boarding fees are when you go away. Even though my wife and I are always on the go, we have friends that come and stay at our house to tend to the cats while we’re away. We pay them of course, but they don’t charge us an arm and a leg. I think they’d honestly be happy as long as we have the fridge full for them to raid while we are gone.

Yes we can. For example, in one week I’ve went from having 3 cats to caring for 9 of them. It’s a big change and it makes me glad that I own my own place so that someone can’t come along and say you have too many cats! I plan to only keep one of the kittens out of the litter, so I’ll eventually be down to 6 which I think will be manageable.

Last edited:

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
R rgwanner I’ve noticed a trend with all of us, even when we don’t feel like doing anything and everything in the world feels wrong, we still get up and go because we know our feline friends need us to provide for them.

Calling what you’re going through a stressful situation feels like an understatement. I’m so sorry to hear about what is going on with your husband. His symptoms remind me of my grandmother’s as she is going through Alzheimer’s. Although we can understand their similar medical problems, it makes them no easier for us to cope with. Especially when they lash out at us with unprovoked anger. You’re taking care of his mother too? I won’t mean this the way it may sound, but that sounds almost like a job in and of itself. Not that you feel as if it’s a chore or anything like that, but you’ve become her caretaker and in my opinion that’s one of the hardest jobs out there even though it can be extremely rewarding. Add a stressful job on top of everything else that you’re doing? That’s a lot of pressure for you to be carrying on your back.

I’m glad that your cats, whether foster or permanent bring some joy into your life. We all know that they help us smile and bring us contentment during the moments they’re with us, but they can’t make everything we’re handling go away so make sure that you take the time to take care of yourself too. You’re taking care of everyone else, but don’t neglect your own physical, mental, and emotional needs. They’re just as important. :)

Cassadee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the compliment on Sasha, I think all of your cats are lovely too but I have a soft spot for Tubby.

My bipolar disorder is pretty much controlled at the moment, but I never know what may cause a setback. If my mood seems too high or too low, I immediately get in touch with either my therapist or my psychiatrist if I think I may need med changes.

Pardon me if this comes off rude, but you’re so much different than I imagined in my head. I assumed that you’d be a bit of a hard ass or a tough guy, I guess because of your look. But looking at pictures and videos of you with your cats started changing my mind, then seeing that you replied to every single person that commented on this tread with a caring nature cemented in my head that you’re a really great guy. You’re the type of person who on a bad day I’d seek out for a positive conversation. If I’m ever have a day like that, would you mind if I used the message feature?

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cassadee Cassadee You’re very welcome. :) A lot of people seem to have a soft spot for the Tubster. I can’t necessarily say that I blame them. He’s an adorable little kitty.

I’m glad that you take your bipolar seriously and nip problems in the bud before they get worse. My friend goes through periods of time where he thinks he’s fine and doesn’t need or want the medicine anymore and when he stops taking it, it’s disastrous every single time.

I’m one of those don’t judge a book by it’s cover kind of people. We all are really, but I can understand why you did pass a bit of judgment because until you get to know a person you base your opinion solely on what you see. Of course I replied to everyone. One of the reasons I started this thread was to get people talking about mental disorders, anxiety, and life stressors that cats can help us with and maybe we can help each other too. A simple hello, how are you, can make someone’s day just knowing that someone out there cares enough to ask. There shouldn’t be such a stigma about mental illness. Not everyone’s brain is wired the same way and who cares? It’s what makes us unique as individuals even if our “uniqueness” does suck sometimes.

Feel free to send a message my way anytime you need a positive chat, anyone can if they just need or want someone to talk to. It doesn’t just have to be about this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk about it, but this username is attached to my business cards as my Youtube Id. I've actually told my boyfriend to take my cat away from me for his safety. Tommy ended up being the focus of a psychosis with paranoid delusions one day. Not proud of that one at all.

Otherwise I'm bipolar depressive, typically, and my boyfriend is schizo-effective. We're a pretty normal family. Yes, the animals help keep me grounded.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lalagimp lalagimp I can totally understand why you wouldn’t want to talk about it under those circumstances. I’m sure you’re not proud of that, but you weren’t yourself in that moment even though that doesn’t make you feel much better for it.

I’m glad that the two of you have a happy and normal little family. I’ve been told before that it was impossible for me to maintain a relationship, but this time I surprised them. I’m married and we’re currently way out numbered by kitties, but honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way. Without the cats I wouldn’t like myself because I never did before, now I’m just working on learning to love myself which is a task and a half.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lalagimp lalagimp
I’m glad that the two of you have a happy and normal little family. I’ve been told before that it was impossible for me to maintain a relationship, but this time I surprised them. I’m married and we’re currently way out numbered by kitties, but honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I'm glad it doesn't rub off on the kids too much. We've put in almost eleven years, I haven't taken in any new animals in almost four years, the only issues that have shown up with his kids is that his teenager has an A.D.D. problem and doesn't utilize electronic tools we keep pleading with him on. He told his son in the kitchen, back in October or November, "Watch this... She's about to have a manic episode." Then his son asked what he meant, he explained it to him, and less than ten minutes later there I go. He over analyzes his environment to the point of being a jerk hole just because it helps manage his hallucinations... to the point that he knows what's going on with me like one of those dogs that can sniff out a seizure before a person is incapacitated.

I got him one day. I put my dog on the top of the cat tree, and he thought it was his cat he had as a teenager. I never put Lila on the cat tree again.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lalagimp lalagimp I’m glad that the kids are doing well and I hope that it stays that way. I find it a bit on the amazing side that he figured out that you were going to have a manic episode before it happened. I guess to keep from dealing with his hallucinations he’s very in tune to what you’re going through. Sometimes that can be a good thing, other times not so much.

I shouldn’t have, but I chuckled a little about your dog trick. I tend to play pranks on people sometimes, but I haven’t done something like that. Then again, I don’t have a dog.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it were foolproof, but it is not.
My friend in Kansas City had been married about thirty years, and has two fat little cats they adopted. I spent 4-5 days with everyone in April. Met him over 20 years ago myself.
His step mother says he died yesterday.
Yesterday is when I realized I hadn't heard much out of him online over the past week, and made a note that I would try to check in with him today.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish it were foolproof, but it is not.
My friend in Kansas City had been married about thirty years, and has two fat little cats they adopted. I spent 4-5 days with everyone in April. Met him over 20 years ago myself.
His step mother says he died yesterday.
Yesterday is when I realized I hadn't heard much out of him online over the past week, and made a note that I would try to check in with him today.

I am so, so sorry to hear about this. I’m sending condolences to you, his family, and his friends. And please, don’t beat yourself up for not checking in on him. Every person has their time to leave this world and a lot of the it’s unexpected.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speaking for myself, I reckon in a day to day kind of way my cats have been wonderful for me, but there have been times when they made me pay. Guess I shouldn’t expect something for nothing.
It’s nice to know that they do help other people out too. My coworkers tease me about it and once I tell them that they help provide me with sanity? They leave me alone