Can cats get worms from eating from another cat's dish?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have a stray cat that I've been taking care of. He left some food on the dish and my cat went up to the dish and ate the remainder. I don't know if they stray has any worms but I'm a bit worried on whether or not my cat can get worms through eating from the same dish.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Yes, it is possible for worms to be transmitted from one cat to another by sharing food/water dishes, litter - and, even from their feet if they walk in the same area. So, it could happen in a number of ways, and is more likely to occur if your cat spends time outside. There are broad spectrum wormers that you could use on both your cat and the stray. Drontal is one brand; I would imagine there are others.

You might also want to consult your vet about their opinion on whether any such treatment is actually needed. A fecal test on your cat would tell you if your cat has any kind of worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for the reply. Yeah looks like I'll have to start talking to the vet soon just to be safe.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats have worms, especially if they have access to outdoors. Most get them from ingesting the fleas from rodents when they catch and eat them. The chances of your cat getting worms from eating after a stray are slim. Most vets worm a cat at vaccination/check-up times because it is so prevalent. Keeping the cat indoors brings the chances of worms down to almost zero, but most cats are even born with worms.