Can cats eat pork liver on a regular basis?

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know cats shouldn't eat beef liver, but what about pork liver? I normally give my cats chicken liver, but I can't always find it in the store, and they are so little that it seems like extra work to rinse and dry them. Is there any reason I can't give pork liver to balance their PMR?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why shouldn't cats eat beef liver??? It's high in copper but that is just a reason to not feed a lot of it. Use it in rotation with other liver sources.

And I don't know of any reason to not use pork liver. I use it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understood that cats shouldn't eat beef liver because of high levels of vitamin A. If that's incorrect, I appreciate your saying so.

Thanks, too, for your input on pork liver. It'll be easier to serve them that occasionally than chicken liver.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All liver is high in vitamin A. That's one of the reasons it is a valuable addition to a cats diet. The caution with regards to feeding liver is to not feed too much of it (regardless of the source) because of the risk of vitamin A toxicity. BUT, you have have to feed A LOT of liver consistently over a long period of time to reach toxic levels.