Can cats drink milk?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ANYONE READING THIS I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO GIVE YOUR CAT YOGURT JUST SHOWING WHAT I SAW WHICH MAKES NO SENSE..... I AM NOT SAYING YOGURT IS OK AT ALL.. IF YOU READ THIS AND DECIDE TO GIVE YOUR KITTY YOGURT CONSULT YOUR VET FIRST FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR FUR BABY.

Right I don't understand it at all I don't trust it at all IT'S ALL LIES hahahaha
So I don't know if you know, but Google is not a good search engine anymore. Google searches based off of personalized algorithms now (and for a few years).
Previously, Google had a click-based search. So if more people searched and then clicked on a certain link it would appear higher on the search list.

Now there are problems with both, but I note that you've been looking up insurance companies (from our other conversation), and as such, Fetch is that result you have at the top that you've screenshot.

Google doesn't necessarily preview the most accurate information, just information based on your personal algorithm.

Mine for example, comes up with the screenshot below:
Screenshot_20230726-233247.png

so even when googling something, you still have to check the preview source for accuracy, authenticity and bias (Henry Buhl Library: Research Basics: How do I know if a source is credible?)

Anyhoo I searched up the article and it still doesn't say why non-fat. The article is short, and non-fat is only mentioned in that same blurb that's in your screenshot. 😂😂😂😂 No other sources mention it needing to be non-fat, so I'll chop it up to the writer's personal bias on what they consider healthy or not healthy.

PS. Here's some other search engines that DO NOT use personalized algorithms. Consider setting one as your search engine. 13 Privacy-Focused, Alternative Search Engines to Google

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I don't know if you know, but Google is not a good search engine anymore. Google searches based off of personalized algorithms now (and for a few years).
Previously, Google had a click-based search. So if more people searched and then clicked on a certain link it would appear higher on the search list.

Now there are problems with both, but I note that you've been looking up insurance companies (from our other conversation), and as such, Fetch is that result you have at the top that you've screenshot.

Google doesn't necessarily preview the most accurate information, just information based on your personal algorithm.

Mine for example, comes up with the screenshot below:
View attachment 455615

so even when googling something, you still have to check the preview source for accuracy, authenticity and bias (Henry Buhl Library: Research Basics: How do I know if a source is credible?)

Anyhoo I searched up the article and it still doesn't say why non-fat. The article is short, and non-fat is only mentioned in that same blurb that's in your screenshot. 😂😂😂😂 No other sources mention it needing to be non-fat, so I'll chop it up to the writer's personal bias on what they consider healthy or not healthy.

PS. Here's some other search engines that DO NOT use personalized algorithms. Consider setting one as your search engine. 13 Privacy-Focused, Alternative Search Engines to Google
Thank you.
Is there any 1 or couple from that list that you recommend?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you.
Is there any 1 or couple from that list that you recommend?
I use DuckDuckGo on most of my devices. But at work I actually downloaded and use the Brave browser and it works very well also.

I got very frustrated with Google for not showing me studies and etc. They used to have Google Scholar but ended it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use DuckDuckGo on most of my devices. But at work I actually downloaded and use the Brave browser and it works very well also.

I got very frustrated with Google for not showing me studies and etc. They used to have Google Scholar but ended it.
Thank you for that. I hate Google so much its not even funny.. so seriously thank you so much!!! I am going to look at the duckduckgo one and see how it goes, 9 times out of 10 way better than google... shoot anything is gonna be better than Google lol

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That Purina.co.uk article is indeed the first one that always comes up when you Google "can cats eat yogurt?" I've even cited that article myself, before realizing it's the only source on the matter that ever appears, so it can't be assumed to be reliable.

I can only offer my ANECDOTAL evidence. My cat has had digestive problems throughout his life, and on several occasions, plain, unsweetened yogurt got some calories into him without prolonging his vomiting/diarrhea.

I am not a vet, and this is just my one cat's story

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that. I hate Google so much its not even funny.. so seriously thank you so much!!! I am going to look at the duckduckgo one and see how it goes, 9 times out of 10 way better than google... shoot anything is gonna be better than Google lol
google scholar still exists at Google Scholar !

on milk - I used to give my cat very rare, teeny tiny licks of milk from the bottom of my bowl. she was always fine but when I say tiny I mean like 2-4 licks. she died of CKD, not drinking milk.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
google scholar still exists at Google Scholar !

on milk - I used to give my cat very rare, teeny tiny licks of milk from the bottom of my bowl. she was always fine but when I say tiny I mean like 2-4 licks. she died of CKD, not drinking milk.
edit: oops I meant that google scholar A Alldara , I quoted the wrong post, sorry!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Buddy likes an occasional treat of milk. I am very lactose intolerant. I use lactose free milk. I have not seen Buddy have any issues with it. Once a week or so when I am fixing my coffee in the morning, Buddy will ask for a bit and I will put a little bit in a saucer for him.

As for the non-fat vs whole, I can have any milk product (without having to take lactase enzyme capsules) that is lactose free with no issue. Lactaid makes an ice cream that is not low or non-fat. It is very good! I can't remember the brand - Organic Valley - makes lactose free half and half. Yum. Unfortunately, since I am 60, I need to try and make healthier choices, so 2% milk for me.

Some yogurts are safe, some not. I can't remember the why of it, but there are a couple brands that I am fine with. Believe me, I would know if wasn't safe - very sick and painfully so. Lactose intolerance is not an allergy, it is that the body doesn't make the enzyme that is needed to break down the sugar in milk (lactose). This can include whey or any milk derivative products. In humans, its more likely to occur in women, and more likely in people from Mediterranean, Asian, African decent. My mother was very lactose intolerant as well.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only offer my ANECDOTAL evidence. My cat has had digestive problems throughout his life, and on several occasions, plain, unsweetened yogurt got some calories into him without prolonging his vomiting/diarrhea.

I am not a vet, and this is just my one cat's story
To add to my above post in case anyone is reading this (as I failed to tell the entire story)...

When my cat was having trouble keeping food down, I always tried plain, boiled chicken breast first. This was recommended to me by my vet, and it did indeed work at times.

But there were some occasions where he was vomiting everything up. He surprisingly seemed to like plain yogurt, so I'd give him small amounts of that just to make sure he had some calories.

I realize that when a cat is vomiting excessively, that's a potentially dangerous situation in which you should take them to the vet. But I've been through this with my cat so many times, and he always bounced back by the time the vet saw him, that I started just adjusting his diet at home to clear it up.

He's always been a regular vomiter, but about once a year over his 10 years of life, he'd have what I'd call an extreme event, where he'd be vomiting for a whole day. This alarmed me tremendously at first, of course, but I'd bring him to the vet, and I'd always get the answer that he just has a "sensitive stomach" (BTW, this is a vet I've trusted for years, who helped him through other health issues earlier in his life, and she acknowledged that "sensitive stomach" is not a diagnosis... she just could never find anything else wrong with him).

Sorry if this is getting off-topic... just sharing a few more details about why I gave my cat yogurt and how it worked.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to chime in on the why low fat or non fat yogurt is suggested over regular, my guess is it has nothing to do with making it safe for cats to eat, but that most cats don't need the extra fat, so non fat would be healthier. Cow milk is very fatty.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to chime in on the why low fat or non fat yogurt is suggested over regular, my guess is it has nothing to do with making it safe for cats to eat, but that most cats don't need the extra fat, so non fat would be healthier. Cow milk is very fatty.
Doesn't nonfat usually have extra sugars though? I'm not sure if cats metabolize sugars the same way as us but if yes, then sugars can cause the body to gain fat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll just add again as this seems it was missed: the calcium in dairy products is too high for cats long term. It can cause calcium stones to form in the bladder and should not be given to your cats without advice from your vet.

There are many other products such as probiotics that can likely be given instead of that's the intended purpose.

A small treat a couple times every few months may be okay, but again, please discuss with your vet.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't nonfat usually have extra sugars though? I'm not sure if cats metabolize sugars the same way as us but if yes, then sugars can cause the body to gain fat.
That could be why it also says "plain and unsweetened", since the sugar content can vary wildly from brand to brand even for plain. You'd want the one that is plain, nonfat, and without the extra sugar.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, who wouldn't eat people food if she were starving, does seem to be attracted to cream. I'm lactose intolerant myself, so I never drink milk, but I will from time to time have fruit in cream. It's the only human food she has ever expressed an interest in, so I let her have a sniff and sure enough, she will take a few laps. I let her have a little bit and that seems to be enough for her. There has never been a problem, but then, Ailish doesn't have GI issues (knocking on wood).

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My concern would be artificial sweetners in low fat yoghurt like splenda aspartme etc.

Fat is actualy very important for a cats health so I wouldnt worry about it.

Plain yoguhrt is fine as an occasional treat but shouldnt replace your cats food.

Kittygirlfurever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat likes whiskas cat milk as a treat once in awhile. It is mainly lactose free. Maybe ur cat will like it. I find feral kities like it too🐱😸