Can Cats Dream

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm sure I could just google this topic but its way more fun to hear from all you cat people! I've always known dogs could dream but I've never heard the same for cats. I'm leaning towards yes because my little kitty was just kicking his paws out while dreaming, and if so do they dream in color? thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm going to guess that they do dream in color, but my boy definitely dreams. I can't tell if he's fighting another cat, chasing a squirrel, chasing a bug ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom yea i think so too. Is there ever any aggression when your boy dreams? say when he would be fighting another cat? My little guy has never experienced the outdoors so I assume hes just chasing a laser lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's been a couple times he's been twitching so much I decided better not to touch him because I wasn't sure how he'd react. Like, if he actually IS dream-fighting, I didn't want to be the other cat in his dream ...so I just talk to him and he calms down :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine dream. They don't make any noise, but do move their feet and their whiskers. Doesn't happen very often.

As for their prey, other than toys, it's pretty much limited to stink bugs, house flies and an occasional moth. I don't think they've ever seen a mouse.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats dream, they did studies on it. One of my cats talks in his sleep. Sometimes it seems like he is fighting; from his sleep meowing sounds and paw twitches. That or he is maybe winning a fight and imagines himself super cat? Who knows?

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember reading a study in which they had essentially turned off the part of the brain that inhibits body motion during sleep (inducing sleepwalking so to speak) and sleeping, dreaming kitties would walk around, play, hunt, eat, drink... the usual cat stuff. So yes, they absolutely do dream. When your cat is twitching while sleeping it's usually an indicator that its having a dream.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think so. Mine twitch their paws and whiskers too. Mingo groans whenever he moves, but I think he's somewhat awake when he does that. It's funny to have a groaning, sleeping cat around. You always know where he is.