Can cats be allergic to straw?

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I might know why my 4 feral cats are scratching and pulling their fur out. It just dawned on me that they do this every year when they start sleeping in the shelters.

Last month I cleaned all the shelters out and put in fresh straw and the 4 who sleep in the shelters are pulling fur out and itching like crazy. I had been thinking all this time it was or could be a food allergy. I then realized they did this only when it starts getting cold and they sleep in the shelters. Every Fall and Winter my poor cats loose most of their fur.

I feed a total of 6 cats but the other 2 do not sleep in the shelters and leave my property when done eating. They never have a problem with pulling fur out.

Now that I think I figured this out what else can be used in the shelters besides straw? They only get in the shelters when they have to, probably because they itch so much while in there.

I hope there is something else I can use so they can all start feeling better. Every morning when I wake up they have pulled out more fur after spending the night in the shelter's.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you buy fresh straw this year or reuse some you purchased last year?  Right now I've got most of the bale I purchased this year under a tarp to store for winter but since straw is a by product of a crop this may not be such a good idea.  Crops have all sorts insecticides sprayed on them and they also have bacteria, fungi, and mold.  It stands to reason that any of the aforementioned could cause an allergic reaction in your cats.  Thanks for bringing this to light...they say to smell your straw to see if it is fresh.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my ferals hated the straw stuffed rubbermaid shelters I first used.  He would enter the shelter and then come out sneezing.  I thought maybe something was wrong with the bale I purchased so I went to a different location and purchased a new bale.  Same thing.  He could not stand the straw and all it did was make him sneeze. 

So I believe it is possible. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use blankets but you will have to wash them often to keep them from getting mildewed.

Do you think cedar chips could work or maybe another kind of wood chips? They may not be soft, though. Sawdust might pack down too hard but it's worth a try. I can believe they are allergic/sensitive to straw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get my straw from a woman down the road, she gives it to me for free since she always has a pile of it in her garage. She has other animals, rabbits,chickens and feral cats.

I'm not sure what the difference is when looking at straw and hay but it almost looks like a mixture of straw and hay to me. I have a chance to go somewhere on Friday. I don't have a car and get a ride every now and then. What can I get to put in the shelter to help keep them warm that won't cause this constant itching?

They don't even have a nice winter coat because they have pulled so much fur out. I will not have another chance to go some where until next week.

Please if anyone has any suggestions let me know so I can replace the straw as soon as possible. My shelters are the only thing they have around here to get out of the bad weather.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hay is still green - it is used for feed. Straw is completely brown, which is why it is used for bedding. Hay will mildew; straw won't, so it could be they are allergic to the hay. Straw can be itchy, so it may be the hay causes the allergies and the straw aggravates them.

I posted other suggestions above. You can buy cheap fleece blankets now - maybe use them until you can identify another solution. Again, you will have to wash them frequently. They wick moisture easily and will mildew.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get my straw from a woman down the road, she gives it to me for free since she always has a pile of it in her garage. She has other animals, rabbits,chickens and feral cats.

I'm not sure what the difference is when looking at straw and hay but it almost looks like a mixture of straw and hay to me.
Get rid of that straw/hay mixture for sure. Hay can become very, very moldy as well. Get a good, dry bale of fresh/clean straw from farm store or feed store. Since the lady you get the straw/hay from has other animals, they may be using the bales and laying on them in the barn/storage area and soiling them as well. I am sure this is the problem for your feral cats!! :vibes::vibes:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goodwill and the Salvation Army type stores are a good source for blankets, too.  I always wash them first thing.  I noticed my guys burrow into the straw filled kennels at times but right now, seem to prefer the blanket filled kennels.  My enclosure is heated and I don't know if that makes a difference.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Softwood chips like cedar or pine may be toxic. Don't know a source for hardwood chips. Sawdust doesn't sound suitable to me.

Some feral cat rescue sites recommend shredded newspaper. Could run newspaper through a paper shredder, or just tear up by hand. No glossy / color sections.

What about dry autumn leaves from oak or similar tree.

You want something the cats can burrow into, not something like blankets that they'll be on top of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I really didn't know what hay looked like. I just found a picture of straw and hay side by side. I do have straw in my shelters but I still think they are having an issue with it.

Wouldn't newspaper get real wet and messy? We have lots of rain where I live and I would constantly be changing out the newspaper and then I would have to find someone who could give me some newspaper on a regular basis.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

I seem to come across animals that have allergies. My own cat is allergic to just about everything. I guess it would be too much to ask for the feral cats I care for to not have any issues.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Softwood chips like cedar or pine may be toxic. Don't know a source for hardwood chips. Sawdust doesn't sound suitable to me.

Some feral cat rescue sites recommend shredded newspaper. Could run newspaper through a paper shredder, or just tear up by hand. No glossy / color sections.

You want something the cats can burrow into, not something like blankets that they'll be on top of.
Ideally, yes but if what they are burrowing into is making them pull their fur out and newspapers aren't going to provide any heat insulation, I'd say blankets that can be easily washed and dried inside a shelter with a reflective lining are going to be her next best bet.  No?

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What NOT to put in your outdoor-cat shelter

Don't use blankets, towels or folded newspaper; they absorb body heat and chill cats who are lying on them. Forego hay, too, which may irritate noses and cause allergic reactions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dandila, If feral cat rescue groups recommend shredded newspaper for feral cat shelters in winter I don't see why you doubt its efficacy.

For additional warmth go to NAPA Auto Parts or similar place and buy one of those windshield sun shield, thin foam on one side and silver on the other. Cut with scissors to fit the bottom of the shelter, placing it silver side up. Then toss the shredded newspaper on top. The cat can burrow into the newspaper, and the small air pockets will insulate. The silver foil will reflect the cat's body warmth back to the cat.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just having a discussion here.  If you put me outside for the night and asked me if I'd rather lay on newspaper or a blanket, I know what my choice would be.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Did not know cedar could be toxic. Thought of that because they use it in hamster cages. Good to know!

We used sawdust when we had horses and couldn't find straw. It worked OK, although I imagine it would be messy and cling to the cat's fur. And I guess you'd also have to make sure it wasn't sawdust from cedar or other type trees.