Can Cat Food Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately Fancy feast does have Guar Gum in it. Most brands of wet food have some kind of gum in it. The only ones I am aware of that don't, are Tiki Cat, Feline Natural, and Ziwipeak, which are sold at some independent pet stores and online. They are on the expensive side too, with Tiki cat being around $1.50 per 3 oz can, and the other 2 brands around $2.00 per 3 oz can, but they all have very healthy ingredients at least.
Ok

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal worked, feed that. Try the wet. Or try their Hypoallergenic HP diet or better yet their Anallergenic diet. Another option is Rayne's Sensitive diet or their Novel Protein diet in rabbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal worked, feed that. Try the wet. Or try their Hypoallergenic HP diet or better yet their Anallergenic diet. Another option is Rayne's Sensitive diet or their Novel Protein diet in rabbit.
Thank you for your reply. I have thought of maybe going back to Royal Canin Gastro. I am unhappy that there are so many grains in this food and alot of plant protein ( but maybe that's why it helps with a sensitive stomach). I think my cats lost muscle mass on the R.C. diet from low/wrong protein. I always feed both my cats the same food and my other cat is overweight. My vet claims he shouldn't be overweight on this food, but it appears he is. If I do go back to R.C. I may restrict how much dry food I leave out for them but the cat that's sick is skinny so I don't know if this is a good idea. I hate how expensive R.C. is especially when this company doesn't supply the best species appropriate food. They overcharge just for lots of grains. The wet version of R.C. gastro is very expensive (between $3 to $4 ) for a tiny can at my vet's; the size of a fancy feast can. I am still trying to find out if my cat is allergic to dust or a food ingredient. If I remember right my cat was still overgrooming/itchy on R.C. food but he didn't have any soft stools on dry. I can't remember if he had soft stools on R.C. wet. I may have to buy the wet regardless of the price. I will be sure to look into Rayne's special diet food. I never heard of it. Maybe I can't buy it in Canada.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I have thought of maybe going back to Royal Canin Gastro. I am unhappy that there are so many grains in this food and alot of plant protein ( but maybe that's why it helps with a sensitive stomach). I think my cats lost muscle mass on the R.C. diet from low/wrong protein. I always feed both my cats the same food and my other cat is overweight. My vet claims he shouldn't be overweight on this food, but it appears he is. If I do go back to R.C. I may restrict how much dry food I leave out for them but the cat that's sick is skinny so I don't know if this is a good idea. I hate how expensive R.C. is especially when this company doesn't supply the best species appropriate food. They overcharge just for lots of grains. The wet version of R.C. gastro is very expensive (between $3 to $4 ) for a tiny can at my vet's; the size of a fancy feast can. I am still trying to find out if my cat is allergic to dust or a food ingredient. If I remember right my cat was still overgrooming/itchy on R.C. food but he didn't have any soft stools on dry. I can't remember if he had soft stools on R.C. wet. I may have to buy the wet regardless of the price. I will be sure to look into Rayne's special diet food. I never heard of it. Maybe I can't buy it in Canada.
Rayne started in British Columbia-they developed homemade dermatological diets and delivered to patients' homes. They still make these diets but have evolved into shelf -stable diets (I. E. Wet and dry). Their philosophy is whole foods and higher protein. I like their philosophy because they focus on good ingredients and not making expensive food from cheap ingredients. It is more expensive than Hills and Royal Canon but again, the foods contain whole food ingredients. They do have a Sensitive GI diet and also novel protein diets in kangaroo and rabbit. (They've developed a canine diet in crocodile!). I would ask your vet. It is possible that they can order it but maybe they just don't normally carry it.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Allergies are so frustrating. So these are the canned ingredients.

Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Ground Peas, Natural Flavor, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil, Canola Oil, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Dicalcium Phosphate,Guar gum, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Flaxseed Meal, Kelp Meal, Cranberries, DL- Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Carrageenan, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

You have both Guar Gum & Carragernan in soft along with cranberries and Yucca Schidigera Extract. The first two are probably your issue. They are not in the dry version.

FelinesForever4Me

Bingo Teeth Brushing Time
Kitten
Purraise
As I get healthier, so does my kitty.
I am grain free. Feel so much better.

Guar gum etc. acts as a detergent to your digestive system.
It ruins the gut flora.

If you take probiotics, you know how
important they are to improving your gut flora.
Same for our kitties.
Google: Dr Davis, Wheat Belly, guar gum

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could possibly be the gums in the wet food that he has a sensitivity to, which is somewhat common among cats. There are a few brands without gums that you could try and test out, but the only brand I can think of is Tiki Cat.
Rawz has no gum and is generally pretty limited in its ingredients. They have turkey, chicken, beef and some kind of fish. My cat (admittedly not a picky eater, but definitely has her faves) LOVES turkey and chicken. I've never fed her the other ones. Also, it smells good. It might be hard to find, I just happen to have a pet store near me that specializes in foods. Also, my sister's 12-year-old kidney cat who throws up on everything scarfs it right down and doesn't barf.

FelinesForever4Me

Bingo Teeth Brushing Time
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately Fancy feast does have Guar Gum in it. Most brands of wet food have some kind of gum in it. The only ones I am aware of that don't, are Tiki Cat, Feline Natural, and Ziwipeak, which are sold at some independent pet stores and online. They are on the expensive side too, with Tiki cat being around $1.50 per 3 oz can, and the other 2 brands around $2.00 per 3 oz can, but they all have very healthy ingredients at least.

We were looking for "guar gum free" food as well.
We bought the TIKI.; T.Y. Kitty likes it, but I worry that it is not American made.

Discovered another "gum' free. "Natural Planet" . Organic Chicken dinner.
Haven't opened the can. Only Bought one. Will see if he likes it.

We had to quit all "Wellness Brand"-grain free/wet because of "gums".

I don't eat "gums" in my food as well.