Can Anyone Tell Me About Egyptian Mau Mixed Breeds?

Motherbear01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fur-baby, Asta, is 15years old. I've always known he was a mixed breed because he has some characteristic that don't fit with just being a DSH tiger cat. Recently I found some info on the Egyptian Mau, and many of its characteristics mirror some of Astas more unique ones. This is a breed that I don't know much about. The first thing that marches is the extra flap of skin between the tummy and back leg. This is skin, Not fat! Hes very lean and muscular, weighing only 9lbs. I always thought this flap was quite odd on Asta, but now maybe not so much. Egyptians have this, along with extra long back legs, to allow them to run upwards of 30mph. My Astas back legs are super long, and look somewhat like a jackrabbits legs do. The next thing are his eyes. The are what is described as gooseberry green in color. And he looks like hes wearing a thick coat of black mascara. Both of these traits are found in the Egyptian Mau also. And hes spotted more than striped. On the Egyptian the coat is unique because the color is only at the tips of the fur. Asta does not have this characteristic although the tips are darker than the fur closer to the body.
Is it possible Asta is part Egyptian Mau? If anyone has knowledge about this breed and can help me out, I would really appreciate your input. Thank you so much!
Staci

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s gorgeous! I’d say probably not an Egyptian Mau mix. Those are a very rare breed. Asta seems to have more of a broken mackeral tabby pattern than a true spot, and her head is a bit bigger than on an EMau. You could get her DNA tested, if you’re really curious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Motherbear01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s gorgeous! I’d say probably not an Egyptian Mau mix. Those are a very rare breed. Asta seems to have more of a broken mackeral tabby pattern than a true spot, and her head is a bit bigger than on an EMau. You could get her DNA tested, if you’re really curious!

Motherbear01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Id love to get his DNA tested, its just not financially possible right now. So I must rely on people who have more knowledge on certain breeds than I do. I realize Maus are rare. But when I compare his pic with the one of the Mau, they look SO similar!
1st pic is a Mau. 2nd is my boy Asta. Same with the face shots. 1st a Mau and 2nd Asta. Its uncanny, especially the face! And theres a huge M on both foreheads. Is it normal for one breed to look SO much like another?
Staci

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Egyptian Mau is a natural breed and has been preserved by breeders relatively unchanged from its natural origins. Unlike some other breeds, it hasn't been selectively bred to create an extreme appearance. So, the details of the breed standard are fairly subtle. Here is a visual presentation on the breed:
http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/judges-ce/EgyptianMau.pdf

Note that the "M" on the forehead is simply part of the tabby pattern; it doesn't indicate ancestry from any particular breed.

Loose skin on the belly appears in cats of many breeds, as well as the domestic shorthair. Most cats have at least a small amount of loose skin here, but a larger "primordial pouch" is normal variation in the domestic cat, and doesn't necessarily indicate Mau ancestry.

Motherbear01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Egyptian Mau is a natural breed and has been preserved by breeders relatively unchanged from its natural origins. Unlike some other breeds, it hasn't been selectively bred to create an extreme appearance. So, the details of the breed standard are fairly subtle. Here is a visual presentation on the breed:
http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/judges-ce/EgyptianMau.pdf

Note that the "M" on the forehead is simply part of the tabby pattern; it doesn't indicate ancestry from any particular breed.

Loose skin on the belly appears in cats of many breeds, as well as the domestic shorthair. Most cats have at least a small amount of loose skin here, but a larger "primordial pouch" is normal variation in the domestic cat, and doesn't necessarily indicate Mau ancestry.
Thank you for the information.

MissMiloPuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks like a Mackerel tabby with maybe a little Bengal. The lighter green eye colour is commonly seen in Bengals but I'd say your cat is mostly Tabby. I love Tabbies

Motherbear01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a long time I believed he was part Bengal. He has many of their characteristics too. A friend mentioned the Egyptian Mau and got me headed in another direction all together! Lol. I agree that he's mostly Mackerel tabby. His markings are beautiful and unique. It doesn't matter to me what his genetic make up is. All I really need to know is that he loves me. Hes very photogenic too. People tell me that hes a beautiful furbaby all the time. Theyre right

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a Mackerel tabby with maybe a little Bengal. The lighter green eye colour is commonly seen in Bengals but I'd say your cat is mostly Tabby. I love Tabbies
It is of course a tabby. Tabby is a coat pattern not a breed. Could be a Bengal mix but unlikely. Even more unlikely to be a Mau mix.

Your cat is definintely a domestic short hair though, there is no specific characteristics for "domestic" as they can be any and everything.

MissMiloPuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you get my point. A common Tabby or where I live they are called Moggies
It is of course a tabby. Tabby is a coat pattern not a breed. Could be a Bengal mix but unlikely. Even more unlikely to be a Mau mix.

Your cat is definintely a domestic short hair though, there is no specific characteristics for "domestic" as they can be any and everything.

DTD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Bengals are bred from Maus so I don't understand how there's less probability of the specimen being Mau than Bengal? You don't get bengal without mau....