Can Anyone Identify Cause Of Crater In Cat's Nose?

leeofwestover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like some type of popped abscess. I talked to get a closer look at it, but normally it has hair growing out of it that's longer than the rest of the hair around her nose. It was already there and healed when she was six weeks old at which point herself mother and siblings were rescued from the streets of Baltimore. Meezy is now 6 months old and it hasn't gone away.
IMG_20190106_002755.jpg
IMG_20190106_003559.jpg
IMG_20190106_003605.jpg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeofwestover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Edit.... Plucked not talked. I plucked the hair growing out of the hole to see it better. I can't find any other photos of a cat that has something similar.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the dark coloring there, I can't really see the problem very well. From what I can see, it looks like a scab that fell off. But if it's been there for 6 months it's not just a minor scab.

If you think something is really wrong, it's best to get the vet's opinion. I'm sure she's been to vet at least once, right? What did they say?

leeofwestover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With the dark coloring there, I can't really see the problem very well. From what I can see, it looks like a scab that fell off. But if it's been there for 6 months it's not just a minor scab.

If you think something is really wrong, it's best to get the vet's opinion. I'm sure she's been to vet at least once, right? What did they say?

leeofwestover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I dropped her off at the clinic for shots and spaying I asked the receptionist about the nose scar. She sort of just laughed it off and and told me she could barely see anything there. At the time I just chalked it up to me being neurotic, which is sort of the case. Before I plucked the hair this evening you could barely see it. I'm just really curious to figure out what it is. At 6 weeks old it appear to be a fully healed but deep indentation without scar tissue. My three best guesses are number one some type of parasite, number two a bite from one of her siblings or thirdly it being some type of congenital defect that occured the womb.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat had an abcess on her head from a bite and she still has a slight indention in that spot, months later. It may just be how your cat's body healed whatever happened to her.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this crater healed or is the skin in the hole still raw? Does stuff ever ooze/drain out of it? If it's still open, from a past abscess, a vet visit is in order (again) to ensure no infection and to possibly stitch it up if it won't close on it's own. If the skin is all healed and it's just a dent. It could just be the way the skin healed. Kinda like a really bad pimple or a chicken pox welt that healed indented.
I got stabbed by a sharpened pencil once (long story, lol!) and I still have a perfect little puncture wound (all healed), a couple millimeters deep.

leeofwestover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No oozing or anything like that, it's been totally healed since I got the cat. It really is like a bad chicken pox welt.