Can Anyone Help? Cat Is Eating But Keeps Losing Weight And She Sleeps All The Time

Faye0731

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom's cat, Fairy, has been continuously losing weight over the past month. She had always been on the slimmer side but she finally started filling out at about a year old. Now she is losing weight like crazy and we have no idea why. She was about 10 pounds in January at her yearly checkup, and now she is only 6. We've taken her to the vet two times the past week and they have no idea what is causing it. They started her on antibiotics but it is not helping. She keeps getting worse and just lays around constantly, she only gets up to eat, drink, and use the litter box. Her poop is normal, she tested negative for any parasites and she is completely UTD on shots, she has always been strictly indoors only.

Despite losing weight, she still eats quite a bit. She has oddly stopped eating dry food and now only eats can food (I feed her at least 5 times a day since she's just so skinny). She drinks great as well. When she is eating, she does tilt her head to the side and acts like it's hard or painful to chew. I researched and found that that is a symptom for a cat that is allergic to their own teeth (stomatitis) as well as only eating soft food, but she doesn't have any inflamed gums or ulcers so I'm not sure. Her gums are pale though.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong? We are taking her to another vet in the morning for a second opinion. Any input would be great appreciated. Thank you!!

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get some more tests ran... check blood, urine, etc. That is a lot of weight for a cat to lose in that time frame. If she has a good appetite but is still losing weight, it could be hyperthyroidism, but there are lots of other things that could be causing it. My cat was losing weight very fast about 6 months ago and hyperthyroidism was the vet's first guess.

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go get blood work done for sure...it does sound like could be hyperthyroidism. Keep us posted, hope everything is ok :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope she is feeling better? have you found out anything from the vet?