Can Anyone Give Me Some Advice?

allanimallover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problem 1 : I have a neutered tom cat, and two female cats (not spayed), my tom cat is still 'interested' when my females come into season, i thought when they were snipped it was supposed to stop? Because he is driving me 'nuts' !!

Problem 2 : A week before his neutering, said tom cat, managed to catch both of my females, between them they had 9 kittens (if i'd had the room & money I would have kept them all, but thankfully, we found loving homes for them all except two for us), we kept two, both males, and since they were about 3 months old (they are now 5 months) the father has been mounting one of them, like he would with a female, biting the back of his neck as if he is about to 'do the business' ! Is this his way of showing who is boss? Or do I have a bisexual cat?? *worried face* He is also walking around meowing when i shoo him away, like he is complaining that I disturbed him!

Problem 3 : my tom cat keeps attacking one of the females, once they start fighting, the other female joins in and they both attack the first female. Not only does this scare me and hurt her, it is scaring the little cats and I am finding it all very distressing, as now the attacked female is almost like an outcast. I have been wondering if this is like a 'pack' thing. Trying to push one female out so they can be a family. May I also say, the kittens we kept are the attacked females offspring, yet the other female & tom cat do not attack them?

Please note, despite both of my females getting pregnant by my tom cat, I am a responsible cat owner, so please dont respond by saying I should have done this, that and the other!

The appointment I got for my toms' neutering was the earliest possible one for his age at the time. And you also need not worry, I am having the two younger toms done next. Also, all my cats are house cats which is why my females are still not spayed (I am saving up for this, for both of them) so please dont reply by saying I need to get them done URGENTLY!

Thank You in advance for any serious responses.

Kind Regards

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, obviously you know that they all need "fixing" and are making steps towards this. My cat Billy is the only male to a 4 female household and even though all my girls have been spayed and Billy nuetered when mating time comes around, he stalks my female kitties and they hate it, I think its just still in there nature and they will do this no matter whet-my girls keep him in check though
Can't really offer you advice just hope when you have had them all done things will improve.xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allanimallover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You for replying, I am hoping to actually be able to 'fix' them all in the next couple of weeks, and I really do hope it works, for every problem stated!!

The attacked female does keep him in check but the other doesnt mind!! They usually both retreat downstairs to the hall where it takes me a while to get to them to shoo them off!!

Can I also just say, as I am writing this, one of the kittens is chasing the text across the screen *chuckle*

Love them all so much

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO there is only one answer to this hormonal mess, and that is the answer you don't want to hear.

allanimallover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take it you mean get rid of someone? Well no, you're quite right! It wont be happening!

Thank You anyway

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by allanimallover

I take it you mean get rid of someone? Well no, you're quite right! It wont be happening!

Thank You anyway
Nope, I would never say that. You need to spay and neuter them urgently. That is what you didn't want to hear, but IMHO, the only thing that will make a difference.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank You anyway
I know how much you care for them, but understand that if you can't have them all properly spayed and neutered, it's not just you that ends up suffering. If at all possible you need to find homes for some of the kittens. Kittens can be spayed and neutered at 2 months, you can wait till 4 months. But to wait till 6 months is asking for more kittens! Good luck, I wish you the best and hope you can work things out the best way for all
!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once everyone in the house is neutered and spayed, you will have a lot less problems. Males can get females pregnant up to 2 months after being neutered (as you found out).

He still thinks as a tom and the fact that they are not spayed and go in and out of heat, he will continue this tom cat behavior.

The behavior towards the younger males in the house is more of a dominate behavior then a sexual one. Be sure to keep the younger males separated from your females.

Kittens as young as 4 months old can breed and become pregnant. Those younger males are as capable now as your older one was in getting your females pregnant!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I stated earlier even though asll my girls are spayed and Billy is neutured he still aggrivates my girls when its mating time. I personally don't think cats ever forget this, getting them all done will help but I believe if its in their nature then they will still maybe do some of this behaviour. I would never get rid of any of my cats at all and I don't think this uggestion is a very good one to someone who is obviously trying hard and just came on for abit of advice of what she can do in the meantime before getting the cats spayed/neutured. x

allanimallover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cheylink, I have gotten rid of 7 of the kittens, i kept only two. Also, as per my vet with which they are all registered, when I enquired about my tom when i wanted him done, I was informed they cannot be done until they are 6 months old, and there is no way i would even consider putting a kitten of 2 months through that!

I am hoping to get the funds by the end of the month, enough to have the other two males and the females done.

I also think I was misunderstood in my first post, I was saying, dont bother telling me to urgently get them fixed, as I already know this, not that I dont want to get them done at all.

Thank You all for replying

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cheylink, I have gotten rid of 7 of the kittens, i kept only two. Also, as per my vet with which they are all registered, when I enquired about my tom when i wanted him done, I was informed they cannot be done until they are 6 months old, and there is no way i would even consider putting a kitten of 2 months through that!

I am hoping to get the funds by the end of the month, enough to have the other two males and the females done.

I also think I was misunderstood in my first post, I was saying, dont bother telling me to urgently get them fixed, as I already know this, not that I dont want to get them done at all.

Thank You all for replying
I sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel bad or attack you, you obviously want the best for all of them. I am so happy you found homes for several of the kittens! I also totally agree with you, 6-8 weeks old is young to be spayed/neutered and I would never put such a young kitten through that either. It is possible for cats to breed as young as 4 moths old, and in a multi cat home, hormones brewing and territorial behavior can easily stimulate their instinctive survival nature. If you have any question of them breeding, you should separate them till you can have them spayed/neutered......
I would speak to your vet about having them spayed/neutered before 6 months, it is completely safe to do so at 4 months....

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was informed they cannot be done until they are 6 months old, and there is no way i would even consider putting a kitten of 2 months through that!
They are actually better off being done young, 10-11 weeks is most common here.

I know in the UK early neutering is less available, there are some vets who will do it before 6 months though as I know several breeders who desex before the kittens go at 12 weeks.
Perhaps a shelter could advise of a vet who'll do it earlier, as already stated cats as young as 4 months can breed.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alanimallover, if you ring the cats protection league they will give you vouchers toward the cost of spaying and neuturing, i got help with all my cats.Google it and there will be a phone number, they will just ask you how many vouchers you want.think it cost me about £10 a time per cat.x

allanimallover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Missymotus, even if there was a vet that would do it so early, i would never consider doing it so early, i will stick with the six month mark which happens to be at the end of this month.

Ruthyb, thank you for that, i will look it up in a second! Also, when I logged on just now, it said i had a gift from you... is this a virus that is trying to trick me? or did u really send me a gift? lol

Cheylink, I didnt think you were trying to attack me so no worries!

Thank You for all replies

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The age mark is placed on spaying and neutering with regards to how well an animal will do with surgery. It's the #1 priority to have a neutering/spaying be as quick and lenient as possible. With very immature cats at 2 months old, it will most likely not do any harm, but it's better to be safe than sorry. So that is why vets either say 6 months [so as to give a client a definite answer, which is what is preached in good customer relations. The less range and vagueness, the better in a health profession.], or prefer to recommend 4-6 months.

I would go with what your vet or most of the vets in your area recommend for you to do as far as the neutering schedule. They know your pets better than us. Also, I understand why you're in this situation. Surgery is getting expensive with the economy, I've felt the pinch in my own pocket as far as Milo's vet care. I know you love your animals and are trying to do everything possible for them.

But as other people said, the only way I can really see to fix this chaos is getting them fixed.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do need to wait, you should separate the males from the females, as they can mate and get pregnant by your young male.
4 months as far as I know is a very normal age for spay/neuter - I rarely see 6 months, especially in a multi-cat household. That is asking for litters, IMO.