Can anyone explain Puma's quirky behavior?

Catvivid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Puma, one of my two cats, likes to sleep in my bed. He's doing it right now, actually. It's very cute, and although I can't move very freely with him taking up space, I like when he comes up to me and purrs himself to sleep. The odd thing, though, which isn't an issue in any way, just something I recognized, is that he's way more likely to come up to be if I turn around, looking away from him. Why's that? Is it normal, or is it just a quirk?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, for many, many years slept by my head at night. She also always ended up facing away from me once her petting session was done. But, she would NEVER do that with my husband. She had to be at his side, about waist level or lower, by his knees - again facing away from him.

And, if she doesn't sleep by my head, she has to be in the crook of my knees - facing away of course.

Just cats being cats...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are unique! Of course, all the cat lovers here already know that's what makes them special. Carleton likes to sleep next to me but only if I'm sleeping on a certain side otherwise he walks across the pillow to see how my hubby is positioned. :dunno:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat lays with its back to you means it trusts you. If facing you means they ready to defend.
An old instinct also where they are watching for danger their direction and they expecting you to look out for danger your direction.
The cat luvs and trusts ya!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are weird, they do weird stuff.
My cat when it’s cold loves nothing more to come up to me when I’m lying on my right side and knead my arm for about half an hour.
She absolutely cannot wrap her head around me lying on my left side and doing the same thing. I watch her try, in complete confusion, give up and walk away.
If I’m lying on my right she has to sleep under my nose in a ball. If I’m lying on my left she to she has to lie length wise down my arm with her butt in my face. Every half an hour or so I have to pull the tail down so I’m not staring at her at all night.
Cats are weird they do weird stuff.

Last edited:

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When a cat lays with its back to you means it trusts you. If facing you means they ready to defend.
An old instinct also where they are watching for danger their direction and they expecting you to look out for danger your direction.
The cat luvs and trusts ya!
i agree
cats will try defend you randomly, yrs ago my nosey neighbor barged into my family BBQ demanding we shut it down (it was 5:30pm) as we're making too much noise so i told him get off my property then punches were thrown both sides & we was fighting until my cat jumped off the fence on his neck trying to help me lol unforgettable lol