Can Anybody See Any Problems With My Cats Hips In This X-ray?:

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat fell inside a closet Friday immediately resulting in bad back right leg limp. He was in pain so we took him to a 24 hr vet hospital that night. They took x-rays and and thought that it probably a sprain. They sent us pain killers and said call your vet if he doesn't get better in 3 days. Also he's been confined to a room that he can't jump in. It's now Tues and he's still in pain but he's switched limping on the left instead of the right. Our vet is too busy until this Sat. He eats well, but I'm worried for him. I attached x-rays. Thanks!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets are better at reading x-rays than the rest of us :D. But I don't see anything alarming in the x-rays. They're probably right that it's a soft tissue injury. Do the painkillers seem to be helping?

Eva Fitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi hope your car is feeling better. How old is the cat? The growth plates in animals a bright white on animals. The X-ray looks fine. No visible lines on the bones. The hip joint is quite white but I think it’s just the growth plates. I grew with the vet it is probably just a sprain. If the cat is still in a lot of pain take it back to the vets. This is because when you break a bone sometimes you have to wait a bit to see anything on an X-ray as the break hasn’t started healing yet which is what is easily seen on xrays. So the break could of been missed. Just keep an eye on the cat and if it’s still in pain take it back to the vet.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't see anything obvious either (also not a vet but I've seen my share of x-rays with my boy). How old is he? How are his litter box deposits looking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vets are better at reading x-rays than the rest of us :D. But I don't see anything alarming in the x-rays. They're probably right that it's a soft tissue injury. Do the painkillers seem to be helping?
Somewhat, They kinda mask the problem...until it wears off. Thank you

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi hope your car is feeling better. How old is the cat? The growth plates in animals a bright white on animals. The X-ray looks fine. No visible lines on the bones. The hip joint is quite white but I think it’s just the growth plates. I grew with the vet it is probably just a sprain. If the cat is still in a lot of pain take it back to the vets. This is because when you break a bone sometimes you have to wait a bit to see anything on an X-ray as the break hasn’t started healing yet which is what is easily seen on xrays. So the break could of been missed. Just keep an eye on the cat and if it’s still in pain take it back to the vet.
He just turned 7. That's good advice.Thank you

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see anything obvious either (also not a vet but I've seen my share of x-rays with my boy). How old is he? How are his litter box deposits looking?
He just turned 7. His stool looks good. Also, He eats only grain free. Very healthy cat until he fell. Thanks for the reply

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He just turned 7. His stool looks good. Also, He eats only grain free. Very healthy cat until he fell. Thanks for the reply
Good to hear. My boy once had constipation that presented as a soft tissue injury. Soft tissue injuries do take time to heal. My boy broke his leg and wrenched it at the same time. It took a good three months to fully heal because of the amount of damage he did (yes, same child, why I've seen a good number of x-rays). Assuming you didn't have the same level of injury a few days is reasonable to expect some improvement. It switching sides could just be a result of him over compensating for the injury. I'd still follow up with your normal vet if you don't see notable improvement in a few days.

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear. My boy once had constipation that presented as a soft tissue injury. Soft tissue injuries do take time to heal. My boy broke his leg and wrenched it at the same time. It took a good three months to fully heal because of the amount of damage he did (yes, same child, why I've seen a good number of x-rays). Assuming you didn't have the same level of injury a few days is reasonable to expect some improvement. It switching sides could just be a result of him over compensating for the injury. I'd still follow up with your normal vet if you don't see notable improvement in a few days.
Thanks, he has an appointment by the end of the week...I'll keep track of his litter action. I appreciate it!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jeredc are you able to make the image larger ? I downloaded the images and zooming into the image makes it hard to see the tail and spine joint and hips.

My cat leo had a sudden limp oneday and it was his left leg. Here are his xrays if you want to compare. The vet said that there were no signs of damage to his leg, and think there was damage to his spine L6 L7 due to either arthritis or someone pulling his tail or it could be spinal tumor. He was limping on and off for 3 months and he also had pain around the leg area and would attack me when i guess he was feeling the pain. He was given meloxicam and then Gabapentine. I dont recomend gapapentine as it makes cats drowsy and if they are kept in the cage the cat is still able to move around and hurt his leg more. Meloxicam and Gabapentine didnt do much for the pain. I should add that Leo ended up being put to sleep, as one week he became incontinent and ended up loosing the ability to use both his back legs and was dragging his body around with his front paws. I dont want to scare you with this last information, its just that is what ended up having happening to leo for some reason. X rays showed everything was fine. Maybe Get an MRI done if you can afford it.
november 2018 022.jpg
november 2018 023.jpg
november 2018 029.jpg

Last edited:

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small Skeletal-Pelvis.JPEG
Thanks... I'll mention that to the vet at his appointment. He's on Gabapentine which seems to mask the pain and he wants to move around too much. I'll ask them about Meloxicam too. He seems a little better today. Sorry about your kitty. Thanks for the info.
Small Skeletal-Pelvis.JPEG

Attachments

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jeredc are you able to make the image larger ? I downloaded the images and zooming into the image makes it hard to see the tail and spine joint and hips.

My cat leo had a sudden limp oneday and it was his left leg. Here are his xrays if you want to compare. The vet said that there were no signs of damage to his leg, and think there was damage to his spine L6 L7 due to either arthritis or someone pulling his tail or it could be spinal tumor. He was limping on and off for 3 months and he also had pain around the leg area and would attack me when i guess he was feeling the pain. He was given meloxicam and then Gabapentine. I dont recomend gapapentine as it makes cats drowsy and if they are kept in the cage the cat is still able to move around and hurt his leg more. Meloxicam and Gabapentine didnt do much for the pain. I should add that Leo ended up being put to sleep, as one week he became incontinent and ended up loosing the ability to use both his back legs and was dragging his body around with his front paws. I dont want to scare you with this last information, its just that is what ended up having happening to leo for some reason. X rays showed everything was fine. Maybe Get an MRI done if you can afford it. View attachment 294547 View attachment 294548 View attachment 294549

My cat leo had a sudden limp oneday and it was his left leg. Here are his xrays if you want to compare. The vet said that there were no signs of damage to his leg, and think there was damage to his spine L6 L7 due to either arthritis or someone pulling his tail or it could be spinal tumor. He was limping on and off for 3 months and he also had pain around the leg area and would attack me when i guess he was feeling the pain. He was given meloxicam and then Gabapentine. I dont recomend gapapentine as it makes cats drowsy and if they are kept in the cage the cat is still able to move around and hurt his leg more. Meloxicam and Gabapentine didnt do much for the pain. I should add that Leo ended up being put to sleep, as one week he became incontinent and ended up loosing the ability to use both his back legs and was dragging his body around with his front paws. I dont want to scare you with this last information, its just that is what ended up having happening to leo for some reason. X rays showed everything was fine. Maybe Get an MRI done if you can afford it. View attachment 294547 View attachment 294548 View attachment 294549
Thanks... I'll mention that to the vet at his appointment. He's on Gabapentine which seems to mask the pain and he wants to move around too much. I'll ask them about Meloxicam too. He seems a little better today. Sorry about your kitty. Thanks for the info. I attached the photos again...hope that works better

jeredc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is all better and happy again!!! kind of happened overnight as if something just went back in place. Thanks for all the responses!