Can Antibiotics Or Diarrhea Cause Fungus

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cliff notes version: rescued two five-week old kittens from the condo where I use to live and where I still go every other week to feed the last of the remaining feral cat colony. Mother cat no where around. Eyes were mostly brown but still some blue. So, yeah, really young.
Brown Eyes and Greystone were treated for URI and diarrhea with Rx antibiotics and a Rx probiotic. Brown Eyes had both the worse. Finally after stopping the prescription Rx food and rice with cooked chicken, and instead feeding cooked chicken and the pro biotic S. Boulardii, no more diarrhea.
At what was to be the last and final check up before going to their Furrever home, discovered that they have hair loss around toes, paws, legs. Came on rather suddenly--was not present ten days ago when they had a checkup.
The fluorescent light test was negative--no glow in the dark. Brown Eyes has it by far the worse those his brother has some hair loss too. The vet is puzzled, thinks may be due to the diarrhea he had or possibly the antibiotics. They are being treated with a topical solution. I opted not to do a skin test--results won't be back until two or three weeks from now. The brothers do not seem bothered by the hair loss, but looks really, um, sad, gross.
PS: I know cooked chicken is no where close to being nutritional complete; I have within the past day or two started to add some canned food. A little out of my league here--I've been feeding my resident cats prey model raw for years. Will hope on the nutritional forum for info an advice. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Would mites show up in a black light? Or only with a skin test. Strangely, neither are itching.