Can A Male With An Upper Resp. Infection Be Fixed?

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one of the males i caught with the neck and face injury also has green mucous coming from his nose. i know that is a risk to neuter a fixed cat but this cat is not very old and he is strong. I will not be able to trap him again, it took me three years! with my drop trap, finally. AND i HAVE NO WHERE TO PUT HIM TILL HE GETS BETTER. I HEARD THE MEDS TODAY ARE VERY SAFE sorry caps. Will the HUMANE SOCIETY spay clinic fix him still do you think? Hes around 4 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
his neck/face injury I think was from a fight.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should give your local shelters a call and ask if they have a Trap-Neuter-Release program! Our shelter takes in ferals for free, nurses them back to health if they're ill, spays/neuters, tips an ear, and releases them back into the colony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vipers_rule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i work with a tnr group, there are no fosters atm. Our HS does not do this. He is returning to his colony after getting fixed; i hope today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes at the vet. I know they usually want the cat to be healthy before fixing them.

Last edited:

CleoCATra55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I know is that an upper respiratory infection is very serious & stressful on a kitty cat. Even if a clinic decided to neuter him while he's sick, I wouldn't put him through that extra stress. Plus the immune system is already low due to fighting the infection & may complicate the healing process. On top of that...the stress the meds (I assume antibiotics) put on the body. Plus what if the mucus from the nose gets into the open wound. I know they have cones for certain things like this but I just wouldn't take the chance. Especially if it took you YEARS to get the lil bugger. I'd play it safe. But...that's just my opinion & I'm not a professional. Just a professional cat lover!!! Lol

CleoCATra55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should give your local shelters a call and ask if they have a Trap-Neuter-Release program! Our shelter takes in ferals for free, nurses them back to health if they're ill, spays/neuters, tips an ear, and releases them back into the colony.
I wanted to say that I absolutely love everything you just explained about your shelter!! It's wonderful to see ppl that stay until the full job is done. But....(& I know this is going to sound so dumb) I've never heard the term "tips an ear." Are you referring to embedding a chip in the kitties ear...or like tipping your hat as to say "adieu" or goodbye

So silly...I know. My curiosity will due me in one day, I'm sure. Lolol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
CleoCATra55 CleoCATra55 Tipping an ear means cutting off the very top of one ear so that people can see from a distance that the feral has already been spayed or castrated.y

I'd be surprised if a vet agreed to neuter an obviously ill cat due to the risk of anesthesia.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you borrow a bigger cage, like maybe a dog cage that would fit a litter box and food? Or do you have a spare room or bathroom you could put him in? It would be great if you could keep him until he's well enough to be neutered.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to say that I absolutely love everything you just explained about your shelter!! It's wonderful to see ppl that stay until the full job is done. But....(& I know this is going to sound so dumb) I've never heard the term "tips an ear." Are you referring to embedding a chip in the kitties ear...or like tipping your hat as to say "adieu" or goodbye

So silly...I know. My curiosity will due me in one day, I'm sure. Lolol
Yup! It's exactly as jcat jcat explained it! Our shelter is really fortunate to have the type of funding that it does! We don't put down animals for space (we had 200+ cats over summer at one point) and even have enough money for a wild animal rehabilitation program :).