Can a full grown medium sized cat get into a locked car trunk?

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is sort of a random question, but the other day one of our outdoor stray cats somehow got into my car trunk. I found him in the morning. The car and trunk were locked. Aren't trunks sealed? Are there ways to get in? I know rodents can get in but I thought they usually gnawed through something. And I know cats can hide in engine spaces but that's open from below. Does it seem more likely someone put him in there? ...I am really baffled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe but it was shut when I found him in the morning. So maybe it was open earlier and a neighbor shut it to be nice not seeing the cat in there?...

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what you both are saying is there is no way he got in other than when the trunk itself was open then. That is basically what I am asking. They can't like get in through spaces below the car etc. Thanks, that helps explain things at least!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cars are sealed so that rain and wind and noise stay outside the cabin. Unless a window was left open theres no way a cat could crawl into the trunk if the lid/door was closed.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cars are sealed so that rain and wind and noise stay outside the cabin. Unless a window was left open theres no way a cat could crawl into the trunk if the lid/door was closed.
Thank you! that's what I thought. I literally pieced together everything I did that day/night before I found the cat and I didn't open the trunk myself. It must have popped open (has happened a few times) and a neighbor shut it with the cat inside I would assume not realizing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had mice get into my trunk, and not by gnawing through anything. I had to check my car manual and even crawl under my car with a flashlight to determine that is a 'protected' opening where the mice were crawling in. Is it big enough for a cat? I don't know, I wasn't thinking about anything but mice when I found the opening. You might check your car manual and/or get under your car to see if such a space exists.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cars have trunks that are completely sealed. Some have vents to let air flow through. They are meant to prevent disagreeable or harmful vapors and smells from building up in enclosed spaces. The size of those vents likely varies by the make and model of the car but, IMO, said vents wouldn't be easy for a cat to crawl through and access the trunk.

My main question is "Why would a cat want to crawl into a car's trunk?"

Even if there were air vents, they wouldn't be easily accessible. A cat would have to weasel itself through some tight spaces to get inside. I can't imagine a reason why a cat would want to do that. It probably wouldn't be for warmth because the car's engine would be warmer than the trunk. (That's why cats sometimes crawl into the engine compartment. For the heat.)

Unless there is food or something attractive to cats inside the car's trunk, I see no reason for a cat to willingly go inside a car's trunk by crawling through the air vents. It would have to be one really curious, adventurous cat!

My guess is that the cat, somehow, got shut in when somebody wasn't looking.

How many times have we opened a closet door only to come face to face with our cat that we didn't know got shut in?

That's the most likely reason, IMO.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not all cars have trunks that are completely sealed. Some have vents to let air flow through. They are meant to prevent disagreeable or harmful vapors and smells from building up in enclosed spaces. The size of those vents likely varies by the make and model of the car but, IMO, said vents wouldn't be easy for a cat to crawl through and access the trunk.

My main question is "Why would a cat want to crawl into a car's trunk?"

Even if there were air vents, they wouldn't be easily accessible. A cat would have to weasel itself through some tight spaces to get inside. I can't imagine a reason why a cat would want to do that. It probably wouldn't be for warmth because the car's engine would be warmer than the trunk. (That's why cats sometimes crawl into the engine compartment. For the heat.)

Unless there is food or something attractive to cats inside the car's trunk, I see no reason for a cat to willingly go inside a car's trunk by crawling through the air vents. It would have to be one really curious, adventurous cat!

My guess is that the cat, somehow, got shut in when somebody wasn't looking.

How many times have we opened a closet door only to come face to face with our cat that we didn't know got shut in?

That's the most likely reason, IMO.
Yes that's really what I am thinking. There was no food in the trunk to attract a cat.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those cats are masters I tell you at confusing us humans! Our cat has been locked into a couple rooms of our apartment so many times. I still can’t understand HOW they can do that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had mice get into my trunk, and not by gnawing through anything. I had to check my car manual and even crawl under my car with a flashlight to determine that is a 'protected' opening where the mice were crawling in. Is it big enough for a cat? I don't know, I wasn't thinking about anything but mice when I found the opening. You might check your car manual and/or get under your car to see if such a space exists.
A mouse can crawl through a hole the size of a pencil lead. Cats have a simaler floating collar but are much larger.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So what you both are saying is there is no way he got in other than when the trunk itself was open then. That is basically what I am asking. They can't like get in through spaces below the car etc. Thanks, that helps explain things at least!
Not impossible, but it is unlikely. Modern cars are made so the only access to the trunk is by opening the lid or through the backseat.

It is possible there’s a rust hole in the chassis.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had my car serviced by someone I trust and he would have told me if there was a rust hole. So that seems unlikely. He must have gone through the lid, I don't see how through the back seat either and there WAS food in the front seating area so if he got in that way I am sure it would have been disturbed. Well this will remain a huge mystery for sure.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had my car serviced by someone I trust and he would have told me if there was a rust hole.
In Pennsylvania, all cars must be inspected annually. If there are any rust holes that penetrate into the passenger compartment or trunk space, they must be repaired before the car is legal to drive.

I'm sure that many other states also have similar laws so it's unlikely that there would be a hole in your trunk, anyhow.

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In Pennsylvania, all cars must be inspected annually. If there are any rust holes that penetrate into the passenger compartment or trunk space, they must be repaired before the car is legal to drive.

I'm sure that many other states also have similar laws so it's unlikely that there would be a hole in your trunk, anyhow.
Yes, I am certain my mechanic would have told me, he did a big check up and this was just weeks before this happened. I really just think somehow the cat got into the trunk the evening before, or earlier that morning through an open lid. My trunk tends to pop open easily and it might have happened and then a kind neighbor not seeing the cat shut it for me.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or, even... What if the trunk lid was ajar, just far enough for the cat to get in. Then when the cat bumped the trunk lid as he squeezed through the opening, sending it up far enough for the trunk to fall shut by gravity. What about a gust of wind at just the right (wrong) moment?

Impossible as it might seem, the cat could have locked HIMSELF in the car trunk. Strange as it sounds, weirder things have happened!

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or, even... What if the trunk lid was ajar, just far enough for the cat to get in. Then when the cat bumped the trunk lid as he squeezed through the opening, sending it up far enough for the trunk to fall shut by gravity. What about a gust of wind at just the right (wrong) moment?

Impossible as it might seem, the cat could have locked HIMSELF in the car trunk. Strange as it sounds, weirder things have happened!
I agree, could have been so many things.