Can A Female Grey Tabby Cornish Rex Bred To A Male Orange Tabby Cr Give Birth To A Seal Point Cr

Minerva2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking to buy a Cornish Rex kitten from a breeder. The breeder bred a grey tabby Cornish Rex to an orange tabby Cornish Rex and one of the kittens who was born a week ago is white but seems to be developing points (grey ears). I know it takes a while to figure out point colours in kittens but I wanted to know what the kitten will likely be. The breeder thinks she will be a seal point Cornish Rex but this seems odd with two tabby parents? I was wondering if she could be a lynx point Cornish Rex? I have attached photos of mom, dad and baby

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes the kitten will prob be a lynx seal point.

Probably, because here we dont know apriori if they are homozygotes or heterozygotes re the tabby.
The breeder perhaps knows they arent homozygotes?

If they are heterozygotes re the tabby, the kitten may become non tabby...

That is the short version.
The longer version includes, all reds are tabby of sorts. But not all reds carry the true tabby gene (or possibly, are equipped with tabby suppressor gene - Im not sure on all these details. But in practice it gives the same result.)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The colorpoint gene (cs) is recessive, so it can "hide" for generations, so, yes, it is possible that she's a pointed cat. With tabby parents, most likely she's a lynx (tabby) point. She's a very cute kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minerva2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Does the colour of her two other kittens provide a clue as to the genetics of the tabby? One of the kittens is an orange tabby (not sure the gender) and the other is a black male.

Attachments

Minerva2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, at what age would a lynx point show its tabby points?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mama's a torbie (you can see her back foot is patchy and also she couldn't have a red kitten if she didn't have red). I'm not sure when you'd be able to tell if a pointed kitten is lynx point or solid point, but the black one appears to be solid so obviously they both carry for solid. So the pointed one won't necessarily be lynx point.

Do you have any other pictures of the daddy cat? In that pic it looks like he might be pointed.

Minerva2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mama's a torbie (you can see her back foot is patchy and also she couldn't have a red kitten if she didn't have red). I'm not sure when you'd be able to tell if a pointed kitten is lynx point or solid point, but the black one appears to be solid so obviously they both carry for solid. So the pointed one won't necessarily be lynx point.

Do you have any other pictures of the daddy cat? In that pic it looks like he might be pointed.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Well, he does seem to be darker around the points, but that may be natural shading, or an illusion due to the texture of his fur. Do you know what he looked like as a kitten.

Not that it really matters, lol. He obviously carries the point gene since he fathered a pointed kitten, so it's not necessary to know whether he's pointed or not. Just a bit of trivia.