Can a female continue to spray after being spayed?

sassyscoopers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 3 years old going into heat every 2 weeks, she has sprayed along all the walls.

We just last week had her spayed, FINALLY i thought the smell would be gone....NOPE,

IT'S WORSE, she is peeing along the walls now?

this might be a silly question but can a spayed cat still spray?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly the answer is yes, she can. You will have to clean very very thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner, because even when you think the smell has gone, she can still be attracted by it. Get a blacklight, that will show up pee, aand clean until it is all gone. Then use a cat repulsive spray along the walls, that may help, though not with all cats. Is there any reason she is marking territory? Are there strange cats outside? If she has been in heat a number of times and using spraying to attract males, it could take a while to train her out of t hat behaviour, especially if the pee smell is still telling her it is OK to pee there. ANd when she was spayed, did she have any other exam to eliminate any other health problems? She might have an infection that makes it hurt to pee and so avoids the litter box. But I suspect that in this case it is a bahaviour issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassyscoopers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she has been in heat with a few males hanging outside, for a year or so.....

.The Vet scored her body condition,they put her at 9 (1-9 scale) apparently, she's obiese,

(she has a little pouch that hangs from her belly) which can lead to liver and other complications they said.

What kind of enzyme cleaners? is a citrus cleaner good? i have to get the smell out before my landlord comes home from Iraq

I guess there's a beautiful wood under the carpet, sadly not anymore

Thank you so much for your help!!

sassyscoopers

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pouch is not a symptom of obesity, FYI. My cat weighs less than 10 pounds and has one.

Actually, I don't think obesity has anything to do with spraying either.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet stores sell specific pee cleaning products. Over here we use biological laundry powder (which contains enzymes) mixed with a little water to wash/soak the area. but if it's been going on 3 years the smell will be down under the carpets and whatever surface is underneath which could making cleaning very difficult.

Very lucky she didn't have any health issues going unspayed for so long, glad you've got her done now and hope she's recovering well from the surgery.

May take a few weeks for her hormones to fully settle down.

Also agree with Emily that a pooch doesn't meant obese, I would assume the vet is talking about her entire condition though and not just a tummy pouch that most cats have.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, if it's only been a week since her spay she still has the same hormones in her. IIRC it takes a month or two before all the hormones are gone (don't quote me on the length)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassyscoopers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh , that makes sense~    thanks to all~~