Can a female cat go into heat if she is near a neutered male cat?

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone knows if a female cat that is not spayed yet can be attracted to a male cat that is neutered .(and he was neutered as a kitten 2 years ago). Can the female sense that the cat is a male even if he is neutered and could that cause her to go into heat just by being around him. The female would be in a kennel/crate so they would just see and smell each other .. I have an appointment set u to get her spayed but I would really like to introduce them while she is still in a crate. I'm just worried she can go into a heat cycle if the male neutered cat is near by. Is this possible?? Can a cat go into heat just by being around a male cat in general if he was not neutered? He is but I am just wondering anyway. Does anyone know? Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have regular cycles. But if she is not mated she can go out of heat and then back in as soon as a week later. So this is why people think a male will induce them to go into heat, because until mated they are almost continously in heat. They do not release egss to be fertilized until mated. Your poor boy can be still aroused by the scent and her actions, so have her spayed as soon as possible. It is possible to have a cat spayed while in heat, I have had a couple done, but the vet needs to know so they can take extra precautions, the uterus and the blood vessels are engorged with blood. are you going into teh winter season? Cats usually do not go into heat during teh winter. but that is the rule, some get pregnant year round. Good luck, and bless you for giving her a home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats have regular cycles. But if she is not mated she can go out of heat and then back in as soon as a week later. So this is why people think a male will induce them to go into heat, because until mated they are almost continously in heat. They do not release egss to be fertilized until mated. Your poor boy can be still aroused by the scent and her actions, so have her spayed as soon as possible. It is possible to have a cat spayed while in heat, I have had a couple done, but the vet needs to know so they can take extra precautions, the uterus and the blood vessels are engorged with blood. are you going into teh winter season? Cats usually do not go into heat during teh winter. but that is the rule, some get pregnant year round. Good luck, and bless you for giving her a home!
Thanks! Yes I'm in Michigan so it's getting to winter season soon so I really hope she won't go in to heat before the appointment. But do you think being near my male cat who is neutered could possibly cause her to have a heat cycle?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think that would be true. The eggs are induced by being with a male that is mating, but I really don't think he could cause her to go into heat. That may be a question for a breeder, i hope one sees ypour question!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Being near the male should not cause the heat cycle. However, that is a VERY rapid cycle, sometimes with only days between, so it may certainly seem as if he is the cause. He isn't. THAT SAID...even though he has be neutered, he may mate with her. Neutering does not actually completely take that instinct away. It DOES lessen the marking, and of course, there would be no kittens, but mating may take place.