Can A Cats Pride E Hurt After A Cat Scuffle?

yvonne whitmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is almost a year old and is fairly an indoor cat. He only goes into the backyard when we are home. Doesn't try to hop the fence and is very content. This morning, shortly after he was let out, I heard cats scuffling..I went out back and he was being chased by another cat. Our cat ran into the house and the other cat ran off. All day he is howling and hissing if you try to get near him and for the most part hiding in the closet or under bed. He does not show any signs of being injured. Is it possible his pride is hurt? Not sure how to handle this situation to make him feel comfortable and safe again.

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think cats have the ability to grasp the concept of pride but I do think that you cat might have just gotten the scare of his little life. Cats scare very easily. A few days ago actually, my Luna, who just turned one, got her leg stuck in the handle of the big Adidas paper bag she was playing in and she ran around the house trying to get it off and once she did, we found her on top of a nightstand in the corner of a room with her hair standing on its ends. She was hissing and growling and making the weirdest squeal noise - I have no idea how to describe it but it almost sounded like she was talking to us. Whats more weird is that Luna does not even meow. I've had her since she was 9 weeks old and in that time she has only meowed when we give her baths or when she's gotten hurt. So as you can understand, we were pretty rattled hearing such a sound coming out of our quiet kitty. She also peed and pooped herself out of fear of a paper bag! We found a hunk of poop beside her on the night stand and she had peed herself under the bed. What this story comes down to is that cats are very timid creatures that scare very easily. I mean Luna did all of that just because her leg got stuck in a paper bag so I'm sure getting chased by a big scary cat would traumatize your kitty a lot more.

I would suggest letting him be for a little while. Let him do his own thing and figure it out for himself. He'll come out of hiding soon, scout the area and once he feels he is safe again in his home, he'll return to his normal self. You could try using food or treats to get him out of hiding if you want to as well. Once you have him out and calmed down enough that he won't shred your arms when you touch him, you should examine his body thoroughly, to really make sure he is okay.
Also don't let him outside for the rest of the day or maybe even for the next few days if you can so that he has a chance to recover from the traumatization. Lune took 3 hours to come back to her normal self and by then she was tired and ready for a nap. She purred herself to sleep on my lap. Your kitty might take longer but he'll be back to himself in no time, pride intact.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your boy neutered? There may be some territorial and hormonal issues at play here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yvonne whitmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think cats have the ability to grasp the concept of pride but I do think that you cat might have just gotten the scare of his little life. Cats scare very easily. A few days ago actually, my Luna, who just turned one, got her leg stuck in the handle of the big Adidas paper bag she was playing in and she ran around the house trying to get it off and once she did, we found her on top of a nightstand in the corner of a room with her hair standing on its ends. She was hissing and growling and making the weirdest squeal noise - I have no idea how to describe it but it almost sounded like she was talking to us. Whats more weird is that Luna does not even meow. I've had her since she was 9 weeks old and in that time she has only meowed when we give her baths or when she's gotten hurt. So as you can understand, we were pretty rattled hearing such a sound coming out of our quiet kitty. She also peed and pooped herself out of fear of a paper bag! We found a hunk of poop beside her on the night stand and she had peed herself under the bed. What this story comes down to is that cats are very timid creatures that scare very easily. I mean Luna did all of that just because her leg got stuck in a paper bag so I'm sure getting chased by a big scary cat would traumatize your kitty a lot more.

I would suggest letting him be for a little while. Let him do his own thing and figure it out for himself. He'll come out of hiding soon, scout the area and once he feels he is safe again in his home, he'll return to his normal self. You could try using food or treats to get him out of hiding if you want to as well. Once you have him out and calmed down enough that he won't shred your arms when you touch him, you should examine his body thoroughly, to really make sure he is okay.
Also don't let him outside for the rest of the day or maybe even for the next few days if you can so that he has a chance to recover from the traumatization. Lune took 3 hours to come back to her normal self and by then she was tired and ready for a nap. She purred herself to sleep on my lap. Your kitty might take longer but he'll be back to himself in no time, pride intact.
Thank you, I do believe you are right..He did come out of hiding staring out the back door..still hissing and making the same noises you described Luna making when we try to get close to him. So we will just let him be til he feels better Thank you again.