Can A Cat That's Never Been Pregnant Nurse?

Nada H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats. two kittens, the mother and the mother's sister which has never been pregnant, but we didn't spay her. The mother hisses at her 9 week old kittens and doesn't nurse them, so they have been suckling on the nipples of the other cat and she lets them and grooms them. Can she produce milk or are they just suckling for comfort? i can see a liquid on the nipples but not the color because of her white fur.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they are suckling for comfort.

Do you plan to spay all of the cats? There are a lot of hormonal issues happening here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nada H.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it necessary for them to be spayed? They won't get pregnant because the male cat was neutered.(5th one i forgot to mention )

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is necessary. Spaying has tremendous health benefits for your cat. They are at risk of developing pyometria, which is fatal if not treated. They are also at increased risk of reproductive cancer with each heat.

Beyond the health benefits, a group of unspayed females will not get along in your home. It will be violent and stressful for all of you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will also add. If unspayed, they will tend to "happen" to sneak out because somebody forgot to close the door... And the unluck was there was a tom nearby, and....
You understand. As befells quite a few of our forumists.

The point here, they doenst "happen" nor there is "unluck". If you have an unspayed female she will always tend to wanna sneak out when she is in heat. Also, all toms around the neigborhood smell her scents, and knows there is a willing female in heat nearby... And she scents and hears them... and...

Im sure Houdini "the master of escape" had good experience of unspyed cats, female and male, because its surely there he learned many of his best tricks.

So its no unluck, its simply biology and laws of statistics. What is bound to happen, usually happens. Unless you are REALLY guarded at least Thrice.