Can a cat get depressed in isolation?

3cats1house

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3.5 month old kitten that has been in isolation for 1.5 weeks due to ringworm. My family of 4 has been taking turns to go visit and play with him. We usually manage about 4-5 visits per day with visits being anywhere from a half hour to 1.5 hrs. Is this enough time? It is harder for us to do more as we all work full time or have school. He has lots of plastic toys that I bleach whenever I clean the room and some blankets, cardboard boxes, and food/water. He used to meow all the time when we first out him in there, and he still does but not as frequently. Could he be getting depressed in there? I feel so guilty leaving him in there alone.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
4-5 visits per day to play with him under these conditions is excellent! You and your family are doing great showing your kitten how much you love him.

Keep up the good work!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. He's just learning that meowing doesn't get him let out. As long as he's still happy to see you, he's good! He might want to play or cuddle or eat depending, but you're all doing a great job. 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3cats1house

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the kind words! I have never had to isolate a cat before this. I’m finding it very difficult emotionally. I want him to get over the ringworm and not pass it to my other 2 cats, but I also don’t want him to be lonely and depressed because he is alone so much. He still likes to cuddle and play when we go in there so I guess he’s ok. Its probably harder on me than him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3cats1house

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update on my kitten. The vet gave me the ok to bring him out of isolation today. She said she does not think he is contagious anymore, but to definitely finish out his oral meds and to keep using the topical. He’s so happy to be out and I am happy to have him out as well. I’m going to complete his meds and keep cleaning and cross my fingers that he doesn’t have a recurrence.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update on my kitten. The vet gave me the ok to bring him out of isolation today. She said she does not think he is contagious anymore, but to definitely finish out his oral meds and to keep using the topical. He’s so happy to be out and I am happy to have him out as well. I’m going to complete his meds and keep cleaning and cross my fingers that he doesn’t have a recurrence.
:rock:Fantastic!So happy to hear he's doing well and out of quarantine
My Sami(Bengal) was a teeny baby when I found him,awful upper respiratory infection,eyes infected and I would not risk my 3 others getting infected so he had to be quarantined as well,it's harder on us than it is on their blessed little selves.
. I'm having to confine a feral right now,poor thing is in hiding and God Knows it's hard to see a cat go through these things- if only they could understand it all temporary for their best interest- depression is a concern but you & your family were stellar- there was not the slightest chance your little fellow would experience anything short of feeling love, safety and sheer contentment- God Bless you 👍