Can a cat be happy on his ownsome?

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chomsky and I moved into our new home and he has gone from being an indoor/outdoor cat to indoor cat. Before the move I was sure that he would need a feline friend to keep him company during the time I am working, and to compensate for the reduced stimulation since he can no longer roam outdoors.

However, now I am not so sure that he needs it. Can a cat be perfectly happy on their own? Is it just a projection of my own anxieties when I think that he must be lonely during the day?

He seems to be getting more and more used to the change in lifestyle. Here he is enjoying his new cat tree, and having a big old yawn.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think many cats are just fine being alone.. it depends on the cat.  I'm sure my girl would be very happy if I hadn't brought Sundar home!

That's a great cat tree, and really well placed for the views!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It definitely depends on the cat. Mogli is our second cat that won't tolerate other felines in his home, and we see that often enough at the shelter I volunteer at to know that "Cats need a friend" is too much generalization. Some do, but for others the presence of another cat means pure stress.

If Chomsky seems content and you can spend quality time with him every day, it's probably best to maintain the status quo.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It really does depend on the cat. My current crew are attached at the hip but my brother's cat Ellie dislikes having to share her space. He's currently staying with my parents while he apartment hunts and I think Ellie is more eager to move out than my brother is.

kingallyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Yes some cats like being by them selfs . We had one cat for a long time them we got a 2nd one and let the 2 out and we had them for a long long yes they did have wee fights with each other . Them very very very sorry to say and was heartbreaking we had to give to good homes as our son was in and out of hospital because of them to much and he was a baby we were told he could out grow it but we could have him in and out of hospital all the time .Any way we waited till our son was about 9 years old then we got one wee lovey kitten and he was GREAT with it then about a year later we got another and we had the 2 a long time then the frist one got C then we waited a while to get another NOT to make up for the frist one dieing . Any way we now have 6 and the are in door cats . We love them all to bits . From Kingallyone

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My gwen loves being alone. I have her for 8 years i do have a dog. I bought in my outdoor cat this winter and she is not happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Chomsky and I have done it! There is a new kid in town and her name is Pip. I got her from a local shelter which I didn't even know existed until a few months ago.

Here is a picture of the two of them together on Chomsky's bed. 

Pip got on there first, and then Chomsky jumped up and tentatively squeezed into what little remaining room there was. I think he was just trying to assert himself and saying, "Hey this is my bed!"

So far a little bit of nose-out-of-joint action from Chomsky but not too bad. Chomsky is very curious about Pip and follows her around the place, while Pip is just curious about the world at large.

Aren't they just the cutest pair?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great that they took very readily to each other! How old is Pip? She looks like she's still a kitten. That'll keep Chomsky busy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pip is only a little Pip Squeak - 3 months old but full of confidence!