Can A 4.5 Month Old Kitten Get Pregnant?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two 4.5 month old kittens. They are due to get spayed and neutered at the end of August. Two days ago the female starts meowing. In the back of my head I wondered why but didnt think too much about it. Well today we caught her brother trying to mate with her. We separated them immediately but is there any chance she got pregnant? She is still nursing her mother she seems too youmg for this! I have contacted lit foster coordinator to hopefully bump up their appointments but is there any way she actually got pregnant or is this more likely a practice mating sort of thing? (Some background, we fostered a mom and 7 kittens and we kept mom and two kittens. Mom is spayed but we wanted to wait until they were 5 months to spay).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most probably practice - but she may.
Spaying end of augusti can be done whatever. Not too late even if.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I really hope she is not pregnant. I know they can be aborted but the thought makes me so sad!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do see about moving the spay up. A four month old kitten should never have to have kittens. She's just a baby herself.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can get pregnant but if the male is her age he may not be fertile, or he may not have been able to "connect".

Anyway, yeah, keep them separated and try to get her appointment moved up. Don't want to take any chances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The foster coordinator is going to contact me as soon as she she get me a sooner appointment. It is hard right now as it is kitten season and the shelter is overrun but hopefully it will be SOON! Thanks for the replies.