Can a 17 week old cat that has received all vaccines get panleuk? please answer!

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
I was in the vet clinic this afternoon to help with one of my personal cat's dentals and they let me know that they had a panleuk positive kitten in isolation a few days ago that ended up passing away. I have three cats at home - one is 11 years old (fully vaccinated), one is 1 year old (fully vaccinated) and one is 17 weeks (he received his final kitten vaccines - Rabies, FVRCP #4, and FELV #2 about one week ago). They told me that the isolation room was sanitized, but I'm sure the kitten touched other things in the clinic (towels, scales, IV poles, etc.) and I probably touched some of these items. When I came home from the clinic, I removed my scrubs and shoes outside and took a shower.
I think I am really just overthinking this, but is there ANY way that my 17 week old kitten could contract panleuk this way? I am not sure when his immune system is considered "fully protected" from panleuk since he just finished his vaccine series 8 days ago.
Thank you in advance for any help!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible as no vaccine is ever 100%. At his age he would be more at risk than a healthy fully vaccinated older cat. The problem with panleukopenia is that it is hard to kill and can survive on a surface for over a year. Very scary stuff.

To worry about it is pointless. Won't do any good now and I am sure your cat will be fine.

Just remember that no vaccine ever provides full protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is possible as no vaccine is ever 100%. At his age he would be more at risk than a healthy fully vaccinated older cat. The problem with panleukopenia is that it is hard to kill and can survive on an innanimate surface for over a year. Very scary stuff.

To worry about it is pointless. Won't do any good now and I am sure your cat will be fine.

Just remember that no vaccine ever provides full protection.
Yeah, I know that no vaccine is not 100% but I feel like for him to actually get it, I probably would have had to come directly in contact with the cat or the cat's feces and then interact with my cat. And I know the panleuk vaccine is highly effective (though not 100%), so I assume the risk is next to 0 for this specific scenario.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
People can transmit the virus from their hands and clothing. So if you touch something someone else touched and touch your cat it is possible. Like I said before I wouldn't worry about it.

Full immunity from the vaccines comes about 3 weeks after the last booster vaccine.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People can transmit the virus from their hands and clothing. So if you touch something someone else touched and touch your cat it is possible. Like I said before I wouldn't worry about it.

Full immunity from the vaccines comes about 3 weeks after the last booster vaccine.
How many days will I have to wait to know that I'm "in the clear?"

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seriously, you are probably fine. I think incubation is 10 to 14 or 21 days.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously, you are probably fine. I think incubation is 10 to 14 or 21 days.
I hope so, I know I am probably worried for nothing, but I would never forgive myself if I brought something home that harmed one of my own cats. I guess I just don't see how he could have even been exposed to it, since I never touched the cat or went into isolation. My biggest concerns is if one of the towels that I was using on my cat (that was in the clinic with me today for a dental) came from isolation so it could have acted as a fomite to bring the virus into the house. I assume even though he has not had 3 weeks since his last vaccine, he must have SOME level of protection since he has already had 4 of the FVRCP vaccines.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will make yourself crazy with the what if’s.

I work at a cat hospital. I have a 12 yr old unvaccinated cat ( oneFVRCP when I got her at 4 months) who has cancer and is on chemo and pred. My other cat had one fvrcp when I brought him home. He is healthy and around 3 years old. Both indoor only.

We recently had a panleuk kitten at my work. That kitten seemed to wind up in every room of the hospital and handled by everyone.😾 I was loosing my mind there!! Nobody seemed to understand how serious it is or they don’t react like me. I changed my clothes, washed my hair and did it all over again when I got home. I also waited 6 hours before going home. That was 4 months ago and so far the only case.

I do understand about the worrying. I stress about most everything to some degree, but when it comes to my cats, I am am absolute freak with stress.

I really think your cat will be fine.