Can 10 Wk Old Kittens Sleep In Your Bed?

JLynnScov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I can finally pick up my kittens tonight. They are 10 weeks old. I would like to have them sleep with us right from the get-go. I am a first time cat owner.

I have kitten proofed our entire bedroom. It's pretty small. And I would put some pillows under the bed so they won't be able to hide in the middle of under the bed so easily the first few days. There are other places where they could hide if they needed.

Anyway, my concerns about them sleeping in my bed when they are tiny -

1) They will be too little to jump off the bed and get on the bed. I have a lot of cube furniture. I was thinking of stacking it so they would have a jumping point that isn't so far off the ground. I also saw a post about devising a ramp to your bed?

2) They will need to go to the bathroom and won't know how to get off the bed. At first, they won't know where anything is. So I'm worried they will just go to the bathroom on my bed. I will put a litter box in the room. But how will they know where it is once in our bed?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had that young sleep on my bed. I made a temporary ramp with some pillows so he could go up and down fairly easily on his own. I lead him up it with a toy the first time and he figured it out and used it most of the time. Sometimes he just took a flying leap at my bed and clawed up the side (so don't use any blankets you don't want to possibly get clawed). A few times he took the same route down.

Their noses will lead them to the litter box. Just don't move it once set up and you shouldn't have problems. If someone does wet the bed use a product designed to remove at urine on the sheets, blankets and mattress to fully remove any scents.

fidola

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fear was rolling on top of her at that age and her not finding the litter when needed.

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fear was rolling on top of her at that age and her not finding the litter when needed.
so where did she sleep instead? curious since i'm in the same boat with a new kitten

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I did was use a toy to lure my kittens to the litter box. Once they saw it I would take the toy and leave them alone. I found this a good way to get them to memorize where their boxes are and helps them to learn the layout of the house. If the room they are staying in is small enough and assuming the box is in plain sight and not behind something,it probably isn't necessary to show him where the box is more than a few times.

Your new kitten may not want to stay in the bed with you at first and that is ok. If he wants to stay under the bed at first, let him. He needs time to get used to this new setting and these new people. If you want him to sleep in the bed and he wants to, make sure it is safe for him to do so. Take some extra pillows and put them around yourself and your partner so you won't roll over. Even slight movements or adjustments in your position could badly hurt an unsuspecting kitten. Try setting up a small bed for him on a nightstand/table/whatever next to your bed. If he takes to it, this is a good way of enjoying having him close with you at night while reducing the risk of him getting hurt by a rollover. A ramp or step of some kind is an excellent idea.

Remember that your new friend will have a mind of its own. He might not want to stay in the bed, or might not be interested in cuddling at first. Give him time to explore and acclimatize at his own pace and don't try to force affection on him.

Good luck with your new friend!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 week old kittens can get in the smallest places. Our girls could get under our doors when we brought them home at about 11 weeks! My Step-sister DID wake up on top of one of Mom's cat's when he was tiny. She heard him meow. He was extra small though; a premie and only about 1 pound. So that does concern me. He was ok; but still. I'm a heavier sleeper and I tend to wake up on top of the blankets I've bunched up. So no babies in my bed. :wink:

If you are a lighter sleeper it might be fine; but it's not for us. (DH is allergic so it's really not an option for us anyway.)

I would make sure they have an easy way down. One of my friend's didn't and her kitten got in the habit of using her nails to climb up and down and eventually her mattress itself was torn up.

I would give the kittens options for where to sleep. Do keep the litter box nearby (they are the equivalent of human toddlers in a lot of ways at this age; potty accidents can happen!) and give them some cozy spots. Like the inside of a kennel with a blanket/towel. Or those fuzzy cube shaped beds. Those were popular here. Let them decide to sleep with you when they are ready. Give them the option and they will take it. Most cats do sooner or later!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had gracie at 7 weeks we were not prepared so hadnt even thought where shed sleep. Anyway she slept beside me on the bed and in the morning I took her to her litter which was in the hallway. That was the first and last time needed to do that. To be honest when you go to bed the kittens will play so you can't put them to bed - they will make their own way there if they want to. We fall asleep to our kitten running around and jumping everywhere - then we wake in the morning and find her at the bottom of the bed sound asleep !