Cami may be in heat?

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our rescued cat, "Cami" may be in heat as the last few days she has been walking around the house meowing at the top of her lungs. I've never had a cat in heat before as all my female cats were spayed at 6 mos & never went into heat so I'm assuming this behavior means she is in heat??? She has an apt next week to get spayed. Also, for whatever reason, she doesn't seem to like any wet food that I offer her even though the other 5 cats love wet food & look forward to their breakfast & dinner. They get some dry food, too but prefer the wet food which is actually better since it has moisture in it & can prevent UTI's. However, Cami here lately doesn't seem to have much of an appetite either, could this be caused by the fact that she's in heat & just not hungry?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like she in heat, is she more affectionate? if i remembered right, it normal for them not to eat  if i am wrong someone will correct me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes, she is affectionate & crawling low to the ground, too. So, I'm pretty sure she is in heat, wow, we now have to listen to her til next Tues when she goes in to be spayed. All my other cats (3 boys & 2 girls) just look at her, like what is all the fuss about? Well, let me know regarding the not eating to make sure this is normal or not.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest calling your vet. Explain the situation to them and ask if this is normal behavior.  They may want to see her.  You don't want her having surgery if there is something else going on with her health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use to work for a vet for 40 yrs so I know she is in heat plus she just had a complete physical exam & complete bloodwork done so I know she's in good health, too. I would never jeopardize her health in any way & put her thru something that would harm her. I just never have had a cat in heat before so this is a new experience for me.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here a link http://www.catster.com/cat-health-care/cats-in-heat

we know you won't do anything that would put her in harm. next time be provide more details or be more specific(which something i need to do), we thought that you were asking if the behavior she showing means she in heat. as for the decreased appetite, there could be a health problem causing it which should be fixed before the spaying. that all Shadowsrescue was saying. sometimes health problems can be overlook.

Last edited: