Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It always cracks me up when somebody rolls their eyes or loses interest in the conversation when I say that I crochet.
Because then I pull out the picture of the recreation of the full length over shawl that was used for Helen Mirren’s Morganna le Fey in the 1970’s King Arthur movie.
Then I tell them just how much math was involved in figuring out the pattern. Then I tell them how big it was (covered my queen sized bed), and how long it took (300+ hrs).

5AEDF9BC-1C38-4BCC-A2A7-7F4C15AC389C.jpeg

F41BD223-3D66-4F5B-9F14-9BC5DDEEAAFA.jpeg

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love crochet and sometimes use the simple beginner tutorials from Bag a Day Crochet on You Tube to rest my hand from knitting. I am not a crocheter because I sometimes can't see the chains clearly and end up short a stitch or 2 and get frustrated!. But I must admit it is easier to rip back in crocheting than doing that in knitting and trying to find my place without a lifeline! I like crocheting and wish I could do it better.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking down on crochet makes no more sense than looking down on knitting! They are techniques for making fabric and both can produce amazing items - as you just demonstrated!

I would never be able to make such a thing. Even if I learned the crochet skills, I can’t manage maths at all!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got quite a bit done. I see a loaf of bread there on the coverlet...a true yarn lover.
I only got a little bit done on my project. DK yarn and too many stitches.
Looking good!
Yarn lover who thinks all those little balls of yarn are just begging to be tossed around and has to be told firmly to desist! :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The world of the fiber arts is a big one! Knitting, Crocheting,Tatting, Weaving, Spinning, Sewing, Macrame, Needlepoint, Cross Stitch, Embroidery,Dyeing,Machine Knitting, etc etc..it is endless!
I know how to do none of the above :( (Well, I can sew a little but I wouldn't attempt to do anything but a straight line, lol)!
I've always been kind of fascinated by people who can do any of the above and carry on a conversation like it's so second nature to them they don't have to think about it. One of my friends was a really great wood carver and she made me several things, and could sit there and and turn a block of wood into a figurine in what seemed like minutes!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My issue with knitting is keeping the tension. I always seem to get it too tight.
With crochet, I can feel the tension as the tread passes through my hand as I make each stitch.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha Ha With me it is just the opposite. I found this patterns today and I thought I would make it in July..looks easy enough.
We'll see. https://images4-g.ravelrycache.com/.../webp/Crochet_Poncho_Pattern6_small2.webp#JPG
It is a free pattern

And also has a step by step tutorial on You Tube.
I would love to have some company this summer if anyone wants to crochet along!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My issue with knitting is keeping the tension. I always seem to get it too tight.
With crochet, I can feel the tension as the tread passes through my hand as I make each stitch.
If you’re comfortable with the tension, it’s correct - it’s how you knit. You can go up a needle size if the fabric is tighter than you like. I knit DK yarn on 4.5mm needles regardless of what patterns say, because I like my fabric floppier rather than stiffer. Plus they’re more comfortable to hold.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ha Ha With me it is just the opposite. I found this patterns today and I thought I would make it in July..looks easy enough.
We'll see. https://images4-g.ravelrycache.com/.../webp/Crochet_Poncho_Pattern6_small2.webp#JPG
It is a free pattern
[/URL]

And also has a step by step tutorial on You Tube.
I would love to have some company this summer if anyone wants to crochet along!
I love that!!!!!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do a lot of needlepoint and cross stitch, and I have an embroidered pillowcase from my grandmother and a knitted blanket from my mother :)
I used to do counted cross stitch. I stopped in 2005 when we got cats because I lost a needle and freaked out. I couldn't do it now, but I loved it back then. I was a bit ocd in that I wanted the back to look as good as the front. My sister was good at embroidery, but I didn't care for doing it. I was pretty decent at knit and crochet. Tried macrame once but didn't try too hard. Since I picked knitting back up during the lockdown, I've gotten back to being decent at it, but crochet is eluding me. I haven't tried that hard with it because I enjoy knitting, but I'll get back to crochet eventually, I think. For me, crochet is harder than knitting, but most people don't seem to agree with me on that one.