Calling all Indoor cat owners

lyssalaane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a question, I'm trying to convert my female fixed cat who's 4 years old who's been indoor/outdoor.(Outside during the day if she wanted and in before it's dark each night) into being strictly indoors only. My question is, how old was your cats when you first did that, how long did it take for the adjustment? My cat cries every morning at 6:30 to be let out as she was allowed to do that. I already have two cat trees, toys,etc for her. Just curious about how everyone's adjustment period was and how long it took until the crying stopped and the going toward the door. Thanks!

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My only cat that I've transitioned was my Maya, and she was only outdoors for a summer out of necessity (I was staying with cat-hating family while between houses and that was their rule). Her transition back inside was pretty quick, but she's also a pretty timid, mellow cat and never particularly enjoyed being outside. She tried to go back out for probably about a week but never cried at the door or anything, I think it was just habit. I did make sure she had plenty of windowsills she could get to that faced the front yard so she could still sorta keep an eye on her "territory" and plenty of places to sunbathe, since that seemed to be her favorite thing to do outside. She spent a lot of time there while she was getting used to indoor life again so I like to think they helped. You might try making sure she can see some of her favorite outside spots from windows, if possible, since she might feel she needs to check up on them, and maybe simulate some of her favorite things to do outside. For example if she likes to hunt play plenty of hunt-and-chase games with toys, if she's interested.

Leash training may also help a lot, or so I've heard. I tried it with Maya but she's much less interested in taking walks than my (fully indoor all their lives) kittens. If you do go this route just make sure you socialize your cat to the harness with treats so she learns to enjoy it, then add the leash on, then start trying to walk her once she's comfortable. I trained mine by coaxing them into the harness with treats then leaving it on for a day just while they went about their normal day, and did that every morning until they seemed comfortable wearing it and getting it on and off, then hooked the leash on and let them drag it around with them (supervised only, of course, so they wouldn't get caught on anything) until they seemed comfortable with it, too, then started following them around holding the leash until they seemed okay, then started coaxing them to follow me with treats while I held the leash. Maya's good on leash but doesn't like to go further than the front yard, but the kittens will drag their harnesses to me if they wanna go out. They even go to the pet store with me :lol3: It's been a great alternative to letting them outside and definitely worth a try.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your kitty fixed? If not, I'd definitely get her fixed, as that will cause her to want to go out even more.

My cats are indoor cats the moment they come into my home. I've never really paid attention to how long it took them to get used to it because they don't have a choice in the matter, lol. Yeah, I'm mean. My friend recently took in a cat that is about the same age as yours. He was a street cat that she made indoor, and before she had him fixed, he was constantly begging to be let out. It let up slowly after he was fixed. She said he's been interested in getting out again lately, after not showing interest for awhile, but my guess is it's because there's all the birds and what-not out there.

antisockcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would expect a long time before she's happy with it. I tried transitioning my indoor/outdoor cat, but he was used to the opposite schedule (had never stayed inside all night before) and yowled all night along with crying whenever he saw us near the doors. It lasted two weeks before the rest of the household outvoted me and he went happily back outside.

He's 8yo now and enjoys lazing around inside more, so I'm hoping to try again if he gets along well with the new kitten. We shall see!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyssalaane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 My cat is fixed,since she was at the right age to do so. So, for me, it's about the real issue I mainly have, is the morning with her, she every morning at 6:30 cries and cries to get let out. I'm trying to find a way to distract her as food only does so for a few minutes in the morning before she'll start crying again. Should I just let her cry and cry until she just stops or is there other ideas on that. 

She has two cat trees,windows to look out in the front yard,and enough space to play as well as toys. I work so,she'll be alone some days until about 4:30. I am trying to find some ways to entertain her since she a very active cat outside.  

I think my biggest issue is I know when I go outside with her in the backyard or front as we don't live in town we live on backroads kind of deal. She NEVER leaves the yard if I'm there. I'd love to be about to just be outside with her a few times a day running around because she loves chasing after me. The only issue with that is, I live with other family members and we have busy lives where we are coming and going and my sister has her own cats so it's easy for them to get out. 

I have a master bedroom and walk in closet so my room is pretty big so she's always running around my room playing. I guess just to getting her out of the habit of the crying in the morning will take a few weeks.

wolfrott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to force our Luna into being an indoor cat at the age of five after she had surgery following a bad cat fight. She was a rescue and had presumably been locked in rooms so initially she'd climb the walls in a fit, but we solved her anxiety as we have a verandah where she spends her nights, and half the day on. We also own a dog, that she smooches up to, as her prior family had a dog too.

She cries to be let out at 6-7 AM but we do allow her out then, she often returns in an hour to sleep inside or on the porch. She's learned to use a litter box, but sometimes has a temper tantrum and wants to do her business outdoors like a lady.

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arc transitioned from feral to indoor only in a shelter and then foster home before I adopted him, so our transiton was relatively painless. He cried for the first two nights, but would settle down and sleep with me on the bed for a few hours before getting up again. He's not shown any interest in going outside - I lve on the top floor of an apartment block and I can leave my front door open and be on the landing to water plants and he'll just watch from the living room.

The seven weeks he spent in the shelter he was a bit of a monster and would hiss and bite, but having been to the shelter I think that's quite understandable. Not the nicest or largest and he's not keen on other cats (having been in some scraps to get FIV). But he was a menace, and no one could get near him so he was moved to a foster where he spent another seven weeks before I took him home. He cried the first night at the foster too, but again quieted down as soon as he was allowed on the bed to snuggle. He also showed no interest in going outside there and immediately stopped being such a terror!

Arc is about five or six and is perhaps quiet unusual in his desire to stay inside no matter what. 

lyssalaane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been doing something a bit different today. She's still indoor only however, I've noticed this has made a big difference today so far compared to the past two days since I started. She stays indoor but about 3-4 times a day maybe more it will depend when I work and such. I let her outside with me in the backyard and we run around and play and I let her do her thing because she doesn't leave the yard if I'm with her. Now, if I would go inside she would go into the field and wander. 

She gets her outside fix and plays and lays around and then when I get tired out myself I sit on the steps and wait for her to walk up them to go in. She usually can tell I want to go inside so she'll walk over and go up and then she's inside no crying and playing with her toys laying around by the window or by me. I also noticed that this morning at 6:30 she started crying and I just opened my screened window in my room and she stopped and she layed and looked out and I didn't have to worry about anything until I got up at 8. Then, I got ready and took her outside and she did her thing until she came back in. 

I think the thing that helps is me letting her be the one to walk up the steps and go inside. I sit on them and she kind of makes it seem like it's her idea to go inside when It's really mine. LOL! I want her happy but also safe. This would work better but if she tries running off while I'm in the yard then It would be strictly indoor. 

Just wanted to give a little update will update later on if anything changed! 

Thanks everyone!

lyssalaane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update, it's been going well for the most part. She still cries in the morning to go out and she will try to dart for the door if she has a chance but 90% of the day she's playing,eating,sleeping, watching out my windows at birds and and whatever else is going on out there for her enjoyment. 

I play with her in the morning and afternoon multiple times a day little bits at a time so she's active. I give her a can of wet cat food at night so she knows she has something to look forward to. I also give her treats more frequently for good behavior. 

She also random times maybe once a day besides the morning will wine to go out I try to distract by playing with her when she whines or if she starts crying I sometimes do things around the house because she loves to see what's going on. So, that distracts her also. Overall it's been good.  Making sure no one else in my house lets her out or accidently lets her out because that'll only make it harder over time if I have to keep starting from the beginning.  

Just a little update, will update in a few weeks unless something important pops up!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started last October and I'm STILL trying to keep my cat indoors. He has a strong desire to go outside and pretty much bolts whenever he sees the door open. I have young children that run in and out of the door and leave it open a lot, no matter how much they are reminded. My cat is neutered, he just enjoys the outdoors and finds it boring to stay inside all the time. *shrugs*

I have another cat who was previously allowed outside by his prior owner and he's perfectly happy as an indoor cat (except for supervised walks on leash) and has NEVER escaped the house or even tried to. 

I really need a playmate for my escape artist, to keep him more occupied in the house, but now really isn't the right time to adopt. *sighs*