Calico?

vipn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I understood, almost only female cats can be calico. But if the X chromosome can carry only one color, how can a cat have three colors? Will a tortie and a pure white cat produce one? I love genetics so the more scientific it gets, the better!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay, I will try my best to explain :D

Two colors red and black make a tortie ( tortoiseshell )

Red and black colors are only carried on the X chromosome.

Female cats have two X chromosomes, while males only have one X chromosome.

So female can inherit the following possibilities -

Two copies of black X chromosomes = black
Two copies of red X chromosomes = red
Or one black and one red chromosome = tortie

Males only get one X chromosome meaning they can only inherit EITHER red or black. Not both.

White is different to all other colors as it is a masking color. It masks all other colors from just a tiny spot ( like a locket on chest ) to white feet and bib ( tuxedo ) to the whole cat.

An all white cat is not genetically just white. They could actually be a black or red tabby under that white coat. We just cannot see it as the white gene is masking the cats true color.

White is carried on the X chromosome too, BUT it is carried along with either the red or black. Which is how you can end up with a three colored cat. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vipn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will try my best to explain :D

Two colors red and black make a tortie ( tortoiseshell )

Red and black colors are only carried on the X chromosome.

Female cats have two X chromosomes, while males only have one X chromosome.

So female can inherit the following possibilities -

Two copies of black X chromosomes = black
Two copies of red X chromosomes = red
Or one black and one red chromosome = tortie

Males only get one X chromosome meaning they can only inherit EITHER red or black. Not both.

White is different to all other colors as it is a masking color. It masks all other colors from just a tiny spot ( like a locket on chest ) to white feet and bib ( tuxedo ) to the whole cat.

An all white cat is not genetically just white. They could actually be a black or red tabby under that white coat. We just cannot see it as the white gene is masking the cats true color.

White is carried on the X chromosome too, BUT it is carried along with either the red or black. Which is how you can end up with a three colored cat. ;)
Will white and red always show together? How can you determine if the whites will only appear on the legs, bib or the whole cat? How is a pure white cat produced?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot but thank you both for answering!