Calico Tabby Has Hunchback

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Please tell me why some cats are hunchbacked? My cat's back is very similar image on the right hand-side. I didn't notice it until after adoption. SS.jpg She is 2.5 years old. Thank you for any information.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she straighten her back out when she walks?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks normal to me, but I'm not a vet. The safest thing is to have a full body x-ray. I had that done for my cat before she was one year. She 'looked' fine to the naked eye, but turned out that she had arthritis on three vertebra. Once she got the medicine - over the counter dasuquin, very inexpensive, she straighten out noticeably. What you are used to seeing you assume is okay. She also got a lot better tempered and became more flexible and able to make better jumps.

Since you've thought of this, I expect that some part of you is seeing a problem even if you aren't completely aware of what it is. If you can afford the x-ray - it only takes one for a cat - think about it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she de-clawed in front? I've noticed a lot of de-clawed cats walk like that. I assume their altered gait causes orthopedic changes. It can also be caused by arthritis in the lower back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. No she isn't declawed. I have to admit that I am a anxious over this. She has been fine: eating, drinking, playing, meowing. Nevertheless, we're going to the veterinarian soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look too bad. I've definitely seen worse. But, yeah, if you're worried you can have the vet do an x-ray to rule arthritis out.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's normal. Cats have very long spines and when they take a certain position, they may look like they are hunchbacked. But, it's merely a natural pose for them. Sometimes, they sit more erect, other times not so much. Don't worry.

Enjoy your new friend.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you do an internet search for images of (words like) "cats sitting"... "cats in sitting position".. etc., You will find a lot of cats that look like yours (when sitting).

Here are a few that I was able to Copy, but there were a lot (and all very healthy cats):

cat 2.jpg
Cat 1.jpg

cat 3.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I should say that I don't see anything wrong with her sitting posture. I just looked at a few of my cats and they all sit like that. I think it's just the way their spines go when they're relaxed. The silhouette you posted with the straighter spine is just when they're sitting up being more alert.

But in the picture of her walking, her back end seems slightly more rounded than usual. That's what I was talking about. It might just be the angle though. See if you can get a few more pictures :).