Calico or...?

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there are a few threads like this, asking about calicos, but I've never seen a thread with a cat that looks similar to mine (yeah I'm being that annoying parent who insists their child is completely unique).

Anyway...is my cat calico, or tortoiseshell and white? Is there really a difference?

The wikipedia definition of calico is:

"...a spotted or parti-colored coat that is predominantly white, with patches of two other colors (often, the two other colors are orange tabby  and black)."

But her coat isn't predominantly white. Her stomach is white but the rest of her is orange and black. Parts are patchy and parts are mixed. So I'm not quite clear which category she falls into and I'm just curious how others would describe her.

Here you can see her white belly (and the adorable little orange stain on her chin that makes it look like she's made a mess eating her dinner haha)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Each cat registry is different in the way they define what is a calico. I was always told to be a calico the cat must be at least 75% white and 25% black and red patches. With the black and red colour to the head, tail and few patches on the back along the spine.

But as I say each registry has their own definition. But generally I think basically the cat needs to have more white colour than tortie ( red/black ) colour on the body to be called a calico. Otherwise they are called a tortie ( tortoiseshell ) and white. :D

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why I waffled about the exact terminology. I would call her an elegant lady with long white gloves.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your beautiful girl is a tortie in my opinion.  She looks a lot like my Angel, though your girl has a bit more white.  Here is a picture of Angel:

meowmars007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm torn between the two myself. Without the gloves? Tortie. With gloves....Tortico!

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a picture somewhere of a beautiful cat I once had, who in my opinion, was a classic calico.  I must try to find it.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly!  Except mine was a longhair.

That's a nice cat pile you have!  :)

Last edited:

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a picture of Chrissy--not the one I would like to post, but a fairly decent one, anyway.  I will scan and post it tomorrow morning. 

Sorry, but it has been a rough day, and I am going to bed.

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat , she does have quite a bit of white on her coat , not sure how you measure if it's 75% though . My cat Tippi as been described as a Calico and also a Torbie and White , this his a picture of her

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

She came to us near Christmas time, that is why Chrissy.

This is not the picture I am looking for, but it shows her face well.  The one I am looking for has her perched atop the corner of an easy chair sound asleep.  That one shows off her beautiful tail.

Last edited: