Calico or Torti?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I would call her Tortoiseshell and White ( Tortie and White).  and if she were being shown as a Household Pet in TICA that is how she would appear in the show catalog.

Calico has different meanings depending on who is using the word.   Some people colloquially would call her a calico since she has black, red and white , but in the stricter definition ( like for example the way it is used in some CFA breed standards)   a calico is more white than colored,  and has the colors in big distinct patches within the white. 

so you can really call her whichever you want, but the more "correct" would be Tortie & White.  

Pretty eyes!   she looks like she has a lively little mind....   and some "tortitude" . 

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well firstly - she's just beautiful!

And secondly - I, too, appreciate your answer maewkaew.  Still learning myself.  I always had in mind, and have no recollection of who told me over 30yrs ago, that a torti was primarily black with the orange & maybe a little white.  I personally love the (now understood) torti & white pattern of fivemeows new little princess.
 I would call her Tortoiseshell and White ( Tortie and White).  and if she were being shown as a Household Pet in TICA that is how she would appear in the show catalog.

Calico has different meanings depending on who is using the word.   Some people colloquially would call her a calico since she has black, red and white , but in the stricter definition ( like for example the way it is used in some CFA breed standards)   a calico is more white than colored,  and has the colors in big distinct patches within the white. 

so you can really call her whichever you want, but the more "correct" would be Tortie & White.  

Pretty eyes!   she looks like she has a lively little mind....   and some "tortitude" . 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fivemeows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you! Your post was very informative! I wasn't sure with the white patch on chest her chest but she did look more tortie to me than calico.

She's quite the love bug, very smart, feminine and has a mind of her own. She makes little chirping meows that I've since read is common with Tortoiseshell cats. I have four other cats, she's my first Tortie and I'm already in love with these colorful kitties!

fivemeows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well firstly - she's just beautiful!

And secondly - I, too, appreciate your answer maewkaew.  Still learning myself.  I always had in mind, and have no recollection of who told me over 30yrs ago, that a torti was primarily black with the orange & maybe a little white.  I personally love the (now understood) torti & white pattern of fivemeows new little princess.
Thank you! She is so sweet and intelligent as well. I was also confused with coloring and the white on her chest.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks like a tortie with tuxedo markings to me. I didn't know that that chirping meow is common in torties. I have a mitted ragdoll tortie that has a meow I'd never heard before. But the chirping you describe sounds like her. I wonder if the tortie kitten I'm fostering ( arriving today) will have a similar meow? Here is a pic of my girl, this is after her coat shed so she isn't as fluffy as she usually is.

Last edited:

fivemeows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a random thing I noticed also. I realised a lot of tortoiseshell and white (calico) cats in Japan have a lot of white. Interesting, huh?
Wow! is your cat an actor hehe?  That is interesting about Japan since I'm not too far away from there!

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha she's not an actor. It's all my skill. Nah, I joke. 

iheartmykittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted my first torte as well (actually, my first cat overall) and she's such as sweetheart! She has similar markings as yours, with the tuxedo pattern on the stomach and paws. The shelter identified her as a tortie. She definitely has that little chirping meow that you mentioned. It's the most adorable things to hear her little voice when she greets me in the morning. Good luck with your new tortie!

toastyeevee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she is a calico-persian breed mix.She is really very pretty. Or she might be a Himylayan-calico  breed/type-mix. Your welcome~ Toasty!  

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sarah2cats,     Sasha is a gorgeous Brown Classic Torbie and White . ( I answered this on another thread that you posted on too.) 

Torbie  is a cat with tortoiseshell color AND a true tabby pattern that is seen in both the black-based and red-based patches.    It is also called 'Tortie-Tabby" or "Patched Tabby" 

sarah2cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting! People kept saying she was calico but I keep saying she got tabby in her background definite. This is her brother (we think)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW      both she and her bro are stunning!  

He is Red Classic Tabby and White.    Both of them just have such intensely deep color , you'd almost think it was selective breeding ,  but sometimes it just happens that way by chance.      My dad has a former feral Red Classic Tabby and White cat who  has that deep red that I love.  

And yes you were right that she definitely has tabby.  In fact she IS really a tabby,   since a Torbie is a tabby with tortie coloring.  

She and her brother had to both inherit the Classic  ( Blotched) Tabby gene from both parents, in order to have this kind of tabby pattern  ( as opposed to the more commonly seen Mackerel Tabby which is stripes or broken stripes ) .      

sarah2cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My partner don't think the bro and Sis. I looking forward to the kittens she has. He has been fixed she hasn't tho x