Calico or Caliby or something else?

KimPossible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I would like to find out if my kitten is a Calico, Caliby, or something else. Her name is Pippa, she is about 9 months old. She was found in one of my daughter’s apartment complexes so we do not know what her mom or dad is. She is very spunky, energetic and has won our hearts. She looks like she may have some tortoise plus some orange tabby stripes and calico colors.

Attachments

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I would like to find out if my kitten is a Calico, Caliby, or something else. Her name is Pippa, she is about 9 months old. She was found in one of my daughter’s apartment complexes so we do not know what her mom or dad is. She is very spunky, energetic and has won our hearts. She looks like she may have some tortoise plus some orange tabby stripes and calico colors.
She's soooo pretty! Looks like a caliby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tortie and white. To be a calico, the color fields shall be even more clear cut. Not mottled as here on her whole backside.

All reds are more or less tabbys. So with torties we have the rule of thumb, to see them as a true tabby, the tabby must be ALSO on the black / blue parts.
Of course: if she is a true tabby, the dark parts would be tabby-patterned. Here they arent; and thus; no true tabby.

Very sweet and nice cat!

Tx for adopting her and giving her a good home!

K KimPossible

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KimPossible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We do love our Pippa girl, we wanted a friend for our 11 yr old male as he was lonely after our other cat passed. Pippa is a great addition to our family.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her dark spots don't have tabby stripes, so she's not a torbie/caliby.

To me, there's a difference between a tortie and white and a calico, but technically (in cat shows, etc.) all 3-colored cats are called tortie and white, and average people would also call her calico so either way is fine.

She's beautiful!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, there's a difference between a tortie and white and a calico, but technically (in cat shows, etc.) all 3-colored cats are called tortie and white
This depends on the association and the breed. In CFA, most breeds that allow this color actually do use the official color term "calico." Many CFA breeds also make a distinction between "calico" vs. "tortoiseshell and white" depending on how much white is on the cat, with different color descriptions in the show standards.