Calico Momma, Male Kitty.

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I just got a kitten today and he looks all over the place lol! He has black and white belly, white paws, white under his nose. But he’s mostly black with orange! His momma is a long hair calico cat. He’s definitely a boy but I know boys are rare in calico/tortie.

What does he look like to you?!

Attachments

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! I'd love to see more pictures of him.

I'm not sure what color he is! You're right about the colors being right for a tortie, and it's not impossible for the right genetic abnormality to take place for a tortie to be a male, but just based on that picture, the pattern makes me question it a tiny bit. I'm actually seeing a bit of a colorpoint pattern in there -- the face, ears, legs, dorsal stripe -- which makes me wonder if he maybe has a fever coat? But fever coats are silvery, not reddish, I thought, so maybe not?

Then again, more I look at him, the way the color is spread on his back does look a lot like my Henna, but without the stripes -- she's a tortoiseshell tabby. Actually, do you see any faint red stripes on him at all?

Clearly, you just need to put more pictures. Many, many adorable pictures. :D :D :D

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The lighting isn't great in that photo, can you post some others? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes will post pics went I get home! My husband and I had a date night!! I just kept looking at him like, what are you?!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure he is true red color. On some pics he looks as brownish, with the black hairs standing out in their own islands... It has perhaps to do with the kitten fuzziness, and it will clear out later on.

Anyways, its something odd here, I dont think he is a true calico, its something else going on.

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your feedback! I don’t mind what he is, but I am curious for sure! I’ve never seen a cat like him so I’m definitely excited to see him grow and how his coat will be. :)

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

We have named this little kitten Milo, he went to the vet for the first time today. He was a free kitten from an outdoor environment where an older lady took in strays and said strays weren’t fixed. The only things we knew is that his momma is a long hair calico and he was the runt of his litter.

Vet was pretty stumped at his colors too. She said it’s like he’s trying to be calico but also tuxedo at the same time lol. She said he’s got all his baby teeth but his weight/size (1.7lbs) pointed to 8-9 weeks of age. Milo has fleas, roundworms, and a URI. He will be going in next week to get his vaccinations given he’s over his cold. His vet is excited to see how his coat will be too! Hehe.

So just a small update and I will continue to post photos and updates as he grows. <3

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like a fever coat to me, which can result also in a reddish color (not just silver). But it also could be a tyrosine deficiency, which makes black fur appear brownish-reddish. It will be interesting to see what he looks like when he grows up! Sounds like you're taking really good care of him <3

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I don’t think he will actually turn out calico or anything but I loooooove his weird colors and mixture of patterns. <3 I kinda hope the orange hue stays because he looks so cute and unique!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could have sworn I answered this, lol. Oh well, maybe it didn't load properly.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of stray kittens with fur that color; I think it's from malnutrition or exposure to elements. I believe it'll grow in black now that he's getting proper care. Maybe he'll keep a little patch just for you ;).

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not doubt it. The woman was elderly and couldn’t take care of all the cats and kittens she had. They were all outside cats too. I’m glad I was able to save Milo.

Black would be so cute! We have a blue point Siamese and orange kitty. I need all the colors of the rainbow cats to be satisfied!!! Lmao!

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s looking so much better than day 1, here’s Milo playing :)

Lmballin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Back for an update :) Milo is slowly losing his rusty orange fur. It’s started turning silvery and getting replaced with beautiful black. I thought I’d post some update pictures. He’s grown and so much happier and healthy. <3

Attachments