Calicivirus

CthulhuCat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone.
So, my male Cat Cthulhu is seven years old and has suffered from what I was told at the vet is Calicivirus. He has always been sneezy with eye discharge since I got him when he was just one years old. I did get him off the street. He has been on several antibiotics & these seem to work until he gets off of them, and he’s right back to sneezing. His most recent trip to the vet I was told that he could be on antibiotics for the rest of his life, well when I tried the Z-Pak he became so sick I had to make an emergency visit, he would not eat or drink and his nose was all crusted. I have tried at home remedies like the HomeoPet nose relief and L-Lysine powder. Nothing seems to help my little guy and I’m at a dead end. Does anyone here know of anything I can try? Will he just be sneezy and sick his whole life? I really just want him to be happy. I should mention that while he is sick he does eat well & is energetic. He always takes a solid poop. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! What a handsome cat!

Just a couple thoughts - I'm wondering if he's allergic to something in his environment. Have you tried a food change? Or a litter change?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CthulhuCat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! What a handsome cat!

Just a couple thoughts - I'm wondering if he's allergic to something in his environment. Have you tried a food change? Or a litter change?
Thank you!!
He has been on a few different wet foods & a few different litters. The only thing I have not tried to change is his dry food. I could maybe try that and see..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a humidifier? That might be something else to consider, --you could try putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower and see if the warm humidity helps him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CthulhuCat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a humidifier? That might be something else to consider, --you could try putting him in a bathroom with a steamy shower and see if the warm humidity helps him.
I have tried putting him in the bathroom while I shower and the steam helps a bit but it doesn’t last long. I have also tried a humidifier but it’s not a big one so it doesn’t get the whole apartment, that’s actually something else I wanted to try. I should have mentioned that he did live with my girlfriends mother for a few years and did fine there. She had hardwood floors and he’s on carpet now, makes me curious. He was also in a more humid environment there.