Calicivirus Question

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

To try and not have this be a 2 page long post here are the deets:
1. I am fostering a litter of 5 kittens with their mom
2. They are 7 weeks old today and I have had them since 2 weeks before they were born.
3. They have never been outside of my house or around other cats
4. They have only even been around 2 humans that were around other cats (but mine) One during a meet and greet in my house, in their room. 1 during a drive up clinic to get their FVCRP vaccine, their worming and their chipping done (they did not leave my car and were only handled by one person)
5. Momma ia fully vaccinated and has been before their birth. Kittens were vaccinated Sunday.
6. Monday night 1 kitten started limping. No other symptoms but obviously in pain. All other kittens and mom are fine
7. Tuesday morning same kitten is still limping but on a different leg. No other symptoms, all other kittens and mom are fine. One limping kitty is still noticeably calmer
8. Tuesday night through this morning, limping is much better. Hard to see unless really looking, but still not quite to full force. No other symptoms, all other kittens and mom are totally fine.
9. Tonight, zero limping (he's running and climbing cat trees) but now has a mark (scratch maybe??) On his nose and what may be an ulcer in his mouth.

Questions
1. Of it's Calici how in the world could he have possibly gotten it? He legit has had a rather "dull" life in a room in my house.
2. Any idea if these are Calci(esk). On the tounge picture back left is what I was looking at.
3. If yes, how do I disinfect the room after they get out so my next litter doesnt get it? It is carpet.
4. Any other thoughts or ideas?

They are going to the vet tomorrow at 2:30. It is very possible it is NOT calicivirus. Just rough and tumble kitty play. Just trying to get the info now because of course I am obsessing. :/

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some kittens do this after getting the calicivirus vaccination. There was a new strain of the virus identified about 10 years ago which meant developing a new vaccine. This reaction started to be seen in some kittens with the new vaccine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kittens do this after getting the calicivirus vaccination. There was a new strain of the virus identified about 10 years ago which meant developing a new vaccine. This reaction started to be seen in some kittens with the new vaccine.
Thank you!!! Does that mean he is contagious too or just a reaction? I actually asked the vet techs (that's who you talk to when you foster) if it could be a reaction to the vaccine and they said no. I wasn't totally convinced though based on some of my research. And I just cant wrap my head around how he could have possibly gotten it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were there physically at the vets office? Kittens are extremely vulnerable at the vets and it's totally possible he got it in there, if that's that. Does he have a fever though? Is he eating normally? Is he smaller/weaker than the rest of the litter?

Do you have any other cats? Adult cats can be FCV carriers without any symptoms. Even their mom could be a carrier. Vaccination weakens immunity and they get vulnerable to the disease. My kitten got it two days after he was vaccinated for it, but the virus was present in the home where he lived then. It's best to use the best quality vaccines.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Were there physically at the vets office? Kittens are extremely vulnerable at the vets and it's totally possible he got it in there, if that's that. Does he have a fever though? Is he eating normally? Is he smaller/weaker than the rest of the litter?

Do you have any other cats? Adult cats can be FCV carriers without any symptoms. Even their mom could be a carrier. Vaccination weakens immunity and they get vulnerable to the disease. My kitten got it two days after he was vaccinated for it, but the virus was present in the home where he lived then. It's best to use the best quality vaccines.
He was actually not in the vets office. He was in a carrier in my car. Came out long enough to get the meds and put back into the carrier. Vet tech was in my car too. He never even went outside the car.

He is eating OK now though he did drop off the first 36 hours or so that he was hurt. He has also dropped his average daily gain some but I honestly think that's because he recently discovered the fun of wet food (never ate it before!) and is turning his nose up at the dry. Weight gain is always seems slower on wet food than kibble in my house!

I dont think he has a fever though I havent taken it. He certainly is acting AOK now. He was noticeably unwell (pain maybe?) The first 24 or so hours. Since then he's been a bit gentler on his leg but active and alert and crazy. Tonight he's acting fine!

He is not weaker or smaller than his siblings. He's 7 weeks old and 850g as of this AM. His brothers are 820 and 888 and his sisters are 777 and 650. The boys weaned directly to kibble (till this guy started in on the wet) the girls eat strictly wet food so far.

I have two 5 month olds in my house. Both fully vaccinated and both have been with me since before they were born. Never been even a little sick. The fosters and my two have had zero interactions with each other. None. They do not share litter boxes or litter scoops (used or unused). The foster room things almost never come out (except the bucket I keep the kibble in for refills) and house things do not go in. All litterboxes are scooped while wearing gloves and are scooped into biodegradable poop bags and immediately tossed in the trash out in thr garage which is a no animal zone.

Zero sharing of bowls or dishes or towels or blankets. There is no sharing. All foster things are deep cleaned weekly (or more often if needed) and then go right back into the foster room. I don't do group laundry or dishes and then put away and redistribute later. All foster things stay with the fosters until they are gone then everything is bleached and baked in the sun and then prepped for the next litter - or tossed).

Litter boxes are scooped twice daily. Momma may be a carrier, that would explain it for sure! I guess I just figured it would effect them all and effect them earlier. They've been with her for 7 weeks and 2 were underweight (one VERY underweight) at birth so guess I thought it would have transmitted sooner. But Ive never had a Calici scare before so that's not based on logic or knowledge! LOL

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if it's calici, it seems it's very mild case. I'm most surprised that the other kittens didn't get it, so maybe it's not calici after all? Since he doesn't seem to be any weaker than the rest.
Mom's milk could have protected the kids from getting the virus, but the vaccine might have weaken him and hence he could have got it?

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if it's calici, it seems it's very mild case. I'm most surprised that the other kittens didn't get it, so maybe it's not calici after all? Since he doesn't seem to be any weaker than the rest.
Mom's milk could have protected the kids from getting the virus, but the vaccine might have weaken him and hence he could have got it?
Maybe! My teeny tiny tabby (650g girl) was born at 59 grams and got down to 53 at the lowest before we got her turned around. HER I prolly wouldnt be so surprised about. She got waaaaaay less of moms milk (she couldn't suck and swallow at the same time so we supplemented) so even him and her both would make some sense. But so far (knock on wood) it's just him. Maybe he jumped off a tree and hurt both legs. LOL! Fortunately we a have a vet appointment tomorrow (also in the car!) that will hopefully figure it out for sure.

Thanks for "chatting" with me. Helped with the obsessing.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't obsess yet, you don't even know if you have reason to :-) And even if, really this seems like he's relatively ok, with rather mild symptoms. My boy almost died from it, he was so sick and seemed he gave up, but his foster mom did not give up on him, and I'm eternally grateful to her for that. Your boy will be someone's else's forever cat and that person will be eternally grateful for what you're doing for him :)