Cadbury Creme Eggs - Yay or Nay?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eww, that looks like a raw egg inside the chocolate!

I’ve never eaten these, not into Easter chocolates of any sort. I used to love Cadbury’s Roses before they completely screwed the flavours and recipes up a few years ago. I stick to Aldi dark chocolate these days.
We have assorted Easter candy at the desk at work and none of it tastes as good as it did when I was a kid. :( Even Reeses cups, which were always a favorite, taste weird.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have assorted Easter candy at the desk at work and none of it tastes as good as it did when I was a kid. :( Even Reeses cups, which were always a favorite, taste weird.
Makes sense - I used to love Easter eggs (which were just milk chocolate, nothing fancy except the foil wrap) when I was a kid, but the last time I tried one it tasted odd. All Cadbury,s, too, which was my chocolate of choice all these years until I started shopping at Aldi.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never had one.
As an aside, Cadburys have a second factory, opened in 1922, in my hometown of Hobart, Tasmania. We used to go for tours of the chocolate factory, with lots of free samples. They've stopped them now :(

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not you. Hershey's changed their recipe in 2008 and started using cheaper ingredients. The taste reflects that. They can keep it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hersheys has an artificial flavor that they didn't used to have. It has always been a mass-produced chocolate that was sold at a reasonable price but it didn't used to have that artificial taste. I know in the U.S. there is some kind of partnership between Cadburys and Hershey. There are a couple of regional chocolate lines here, Esther Price and Anthony Thomas, that are better than Hershey or Cadbury and they are really only a little more expensive.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hersheys has an artificial flavor that they didn't used to have. It has always been a mass-produced chocolate that was sold at a reasonable price but it didn't used to have that artificial taste.
Hershey's chocolate developed a waxy taste. I stopped eating it for years but lately it seems to taste pretty good. But my taste buds are off so maybe that's why I like it again.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not anymore, they're too sweet. The only chocolate I really like these days is hershey's special dark chocolate.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I went on that tour when I visited Hobart in 2007!
Sorry to say it, but it would have been nowhere near as good as the 1960 ones. They kept handing out samples of the chocolates of whatever area we were in, and then there was a box with chocolates, cocoa etc at the end. :)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say it, but it would have been nowhere near as good as the 1960 ones. They kept handing out samples of the chocolates of whatever area we were in, and then there was a box with chocolates, cocoa etc at the end. :)
I don’t remember much about the tour tbh, I think it was part of a package going to Port Arthur for the day.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t remember much about the tour tbh, I think it was part of a package going to Port Arthur for the day.
I think that would have been too much to do in a day... they're nowhere near each other.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we reached Port Arthur by boat - I must see if I have my diary, I can’t think what else it would have been. I certainly didn’t go to the factory for its own sake. Only other out of town bit I remember was a bus trip up Mt Wellington, and that was on my own, not a tour.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
No that would make sense.. the factory is on the Derwent River.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we reached Port Arthur by boat - I must see if I have my diary, I can’t think what else it would have been. I certainly didn’t go to the factory for its own sake. Only other out of town bit I remember was a bus trip up Mt Wellington, and that was on my own, not a tour.
We went to a chocolate factory when we were in Port Arthur, but I just looked and it was Federation chocolate, not Cadbury, and it was really small. It was part of the shore excursion we chose on the cruise.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to live these and they were my grandfather's fav but I tried one this year and instead of a creamy gooey center it was mostly solid kinda dry and just yuck and omg was it sweet waaaay too sweet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to live these and they were my grandfather's fav but I tried one this year and instead of a creamy gooey center it was mostly solid kinda dry and just yuck and omg was it sweet waaaay too sweet.
Right? Less is more…my teeth ache thinking about it.