Buying krill and fish oil online may not always be a good idea.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been taking krill oil for some rather extreme pain caused by surgery aggravated arthritis. Well I made a disconcerting discovery. You might have read that krill (and fish) oil is heat sensitive. I think I can personally verify that it is indeed. 

The krill oil I started with is some I bought online some months ago, when the weather was cool, and never used. My experience was that when I started using it for the arthritis pain I felt a lessening of the pain within a couple of days and within a week the reduction in pain was nothing less than amazing. I'm including that to say that I don't think there is any doubt at all that I can tell when the krill oil is being effective. It wasn't a matter of "Well, I *think* it may have helped some." It's that the reduction in pain was very obvious.

Anyway, on with the story. When my first bottle started getting low I ordered more online. When the box arrived and the UPS guy handed it to me I was struck by how warm, almost hot, the cardboard shipping box was. I immediately flashed back to all I had read about how heat sensitive krill oil is how the label instructions say it should be stored in a cool dry place. I worried that the oil might be ruined but decided to hope for the best and use it anyway.

After a week using the "heated" krill oil my pain started coming back. After one sleepless night I wasn't willing to experiment any more and bought some fresh oil locally (at more than double the online price). Within a couple of days the pain was mostly gone again.

The moral of the story is, if buying krill, and probably fish oil and most other supplements, online it is probably best to only do it if there is a better than good chance that it won't be exposed to high temperatures during shipping. I'm going to wait until winter before I buy any more online since I'm in Houston and we can get pretty warm temps here even in the Fall.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also just bought some Krill oil capsules on line last month in high heat temps. :nervous: It is so much cheaper on line but will also wait till the cold months to order more. Thanks for the tip - I always wonder and feel concerned about ordering my supplements on line this summer as it has been extremely hot.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it doesn't smell or taste rancid--it just doesn't work? That's fascinating, I wonder what really goes on that causes that. The Omega 3s are degraded? It loses its anti-inflammatory effects? Something cool to research!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it doesn't smell or taste rancid--it just doesn't work? That's fascinating, I wonder what really goes on that causes that. The Omega 3s are degraded? It loses its anti-inflammatory effects? Something cool to research!
Well, it is in a capsules so I can't smell or taste it.

Edit:

You got me wondering so I found this:
Well, NKO has the patent for gentle extraction. So if anyone claims to make it as gently as NKO, they are breaking the law or doing something funny. Either way, nobody knows because no one else has published their results.

The reason why this gentle process is so important is that the phospholipid bond that makes Krill Oil superior is easily damaged by heat.

Once the phospholipid bond is damaged, then Krill oil is no different than fish oil.

Heat damaged Krill oil is just really expensive, red-colored oil.
http://www.omegavia.com/krill-oil-vs-fish-oil/

If true this explains why fish oil has never had any effect on my arthritis. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
General question for anyone who may know...

And mschauer, I know you're using the krill oil for you, not the cats.

It's expensive to supplement omega 3s with krill oil vs. salmon or fish oil. But I've been interested in putting Flowerbelle on the krill oil because of the benefits for arthritis - and mschauer, you're a testament to the studies showing it DOES make a difference. (As is this heated up krill oil experience LOL).

But... the NRC recommends that the EPA be no more than 60% of the combined EPA+DHA. The profile of the Neptune Krill Oil (which is the NKO(TM) - N.K.O. Neptune Krill Oil used in most krill oil supplements) is 62.5% EPA and 37.5%.

Think I should worry about this?

Or the benefits on her arthritis (and potentially her asthma) outweigh... any idea what consequences? What's behind that 60% recommendation of the NRC? :dk:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But... the NRC recommends that the EPA be no more than 60% of the combined EPA+DHA. The profile of the Neptune Krill Oil (which is the NKO(TM) - N.K.O. Neptune Krill Oil used in most krill oil supplements) is 62.5% EPA and 37.5%.

Think I should worry about this?

Or the benefits on her arthritis (and potentially her asthma) outweigh... any idea what consequences? What's behind that 60% recommendation of the NRC?
Well, I've got the NRC's Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats book (both 1986 and 2006 editions), so I'll re-read the fatty acids chapter and see if anything's mentioned ref. that 60%. (Not tonight, though - I'm finishing off this month's Raw Instincts article as soon as I'm caught up here!
)

I don't recall seeing mention of it the other night when we were... uh, "discussing" this topic (
), but I was scanning more than I was reading, so we might get lucky.

AC