Butterscotch's thumb

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Butterscotch aka Butter was chewing my fingers and just playing around earlier when I noticed the nail bed of his thumb claw was scabbed over I don't have money for a vet till the first and it's not really red or visably too swollen just scabbed over and his other thumb claw is cracked at the base on the other hand should I be concerned? He's one year old and is rough and tumble with my his sister's one year old Dora and two year old lil bit and Dad 8 y/o Mignon the play fights are epic and extreme and he's not limping or showing any signs of pain.
IMG_20220518_165233438.jpg
IMG_20220518_165229820.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The picture is not clear at all so it's really hard to say whether this needs a Vet visit or not. If he isn't showing signs of pain even when you touch it, it's probably ok, but perhaps it's a good idea to trim that claw to keep it from getting snagged on things. That's probably what happened in the first place. It make have gotten caught up on something and he pulled too hard to free himself and caused some bleeding. If it's already scabbed over, then I don't think you need to even try to clean it, just keep on eye on it to make sure it heals up ok

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:. Hi, I agree. It is one of those things that you keep watch over. Although, I am a bit curious as to why you used the words "not...visibly too swollen". That would suggest you do see swelling? Something else to pay very close attention to. There is a reason for the swelling...

Nail trimming on a regular basis might help, if you don't do that already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah:. Hi, I agree. It is one of those things that you keep watch over. Although, I am a bit curious as to why you used the words "not...visibly too swollen". That would suggest you do see swelling? Something else to pay very close attention to. There is a reason for the swelling...

Nail trimming on a regular basis might help, if you don't do that already.
It looks a bit swollen because the scab but I think it's just the scab