Butt In The Face

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why is it that one of my cats has to arrange herself in bed with her butt in my face? I am Katkuddler, but actually I prefer the other end.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dexter, when he hops on my lap for pettings, almost always turns his "3rd eye" to my face for identification.

I call the back end of him, Mr Bottomly.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline behaviorists theorize that it harks back to the mom/kitten relationship... where kittens presented their backsides to momma for identification, inspection and cleaning. I don't like it either... but I take it as a compliment.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got to admit that sometimes I do have to inspect and clean Bella's "business end" . But gosh, she does get carried away with presenting it to me!!! I mean, come on Bella, give me a break

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered the same thing - but also read about the kittens presenting their rear ends to mom, and also that it's a sign of trust - your cat is trusting you with their back. Seen that way, I was also most complimented!

seanh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In our bed, we call getting the kitty's face "getting the good end." If one person gets the good end, the other person must be getting the butt!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

and also that it's a sign of trust - your cat is trusting you with their back. Seen that way, I was also most complimented!
That's what it is. A 'here smell my scent' sort of behavior somewhat similar to dogs. If you have multiple cats in the house, you'll see them sniff each other on occasion.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's what it is. A 'here smell my scent' sort of behavior somewhat similar to dogs. If you have multiple cats in the house, you'll see them sniff each other on occasion.
Yep, lots of butt sniffing going on around here, all the time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Some cats like to sniff more than others.
Sho doesn't try to sniff other cats that much... then again I don't think he can smell much (he doesn't even respond to the smell of fresh cut onion). Siri tries to sniff everyone elses butts, but won't let any cat near hers. And if the cat she's sniffed has a stinky butt from just being in the litter box she'll smack them.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ghostie is my big-time butt presenter! Especially when I am laying down on the bed. He will also come up to me when I am sitting down and turn around, with his butt pointed at me!

He hates having his butt sniffed by the other cats. He lets out an annoyed squeak and wheels around on them. Sometimes the offender gets a smack. Maybe b/c I don't SNIFF, he's ok with it????

He is also VERY bonded to me.

Originally Posted by darlili

I wondered the same thing - but also read about the kittens presenting their rear ends to mom, and also that it's a sign of trust - your cat is trusting you with their back. Seen that way, I was also most complimented!
G-host trusts me... up to a point... unless he thinks I am going to put medicine in his eyes or something... LOL!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have 2 litters of kittens at moment and was holding 5 of them. they were all sitting on chest butt to my face paws under them...tried to get pic but was a no go
so maybe thats why the mom cats trust me a bit more with thier babies huh?

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Feline behaviorists theorize that it harks back to the mom/kitten relationship... where kittens presented their backsides to momma for identification, inspection and cleaning. I don't like it either... but I take it as a compliment.

Awwww...that's why.
Now I understand & know why Ku Ku always sits & sphinx next to me showing her butt off, or often "the eye" is almost touching wherever my body part close to her...

I always thought that was some kind of "herez, hooman. Kwiss mar ...." cattitude but rather, that's the opposite. It's good to know.

Thank you for the info

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy will make a big production of butt sniffing. She will stand right on your chest in what we refer to as her stripper pose, (butt in air, chest down, looking over her shoulder) and wiggle. It is really cute, but not when you are trying to sleep. If you turn your head away and make a sniffy noise, she is satisfied and will turn the cute end around for petting.

They others will occasionally go into a butt sniffing frenzy, even Pearl will join in.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy will make a big production of butt sniffing. She will stand right on your chest in what we refer to as her stripper pose, (butt in air, chest down, looking over her shoulder) and wiggle. It is really cute, but not when you are trying to sleep. If you turn your head away and make a sniffy noise, she is satisfied and will turn the cute end around for petting.

They all will occasionally go into a butt sniffing frenzy, even Pearl will join in. It will last for a couple minutes, then the smackdown will begin. Pearl will smack Scooter, Pepper will smack Fluffy, and it's on until I make them stop. I will let them go for a little while, it seems more like play than actual fighting.

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, kitty identification... I never thought of that.

Obie does the same kinda thing, but I think with him it's more because he doesn't like anyone but his brother or sister being close to his face. If I'm laying on the couch and watching tv, he'll sometimes hop up on my stomach and lay down with his butt towards my face... He's usually very clean so I can handle that, but it's his TAIL that keeps smacking me in the face that I can't stand!

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Damn! Now that I know it is a compliment I have to feel less proud of the fact that usually at night I get 4 kitty faces and my husband gets 4 kitty butts.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe I get this every night with Bugsy.... head-butt-head-butt-head-butt-head-butt.... I should just call him mr. butthead!
He just keeps turning and turning... puts his head next to my face, then his butt.... and goes like that for the longest time.... And I mean - on my face! Thank goodness he has his fluffy ragdoll tail that I can protect myself with it
and thank goodness he is not a farter too!