Buspirone

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
has anyone had a cat that has been on buspirone? we have a cat that is one it, He was chasing and biting his tail. It seemed to work when he was taking it twice a day, and then lowered to once a day, but when we tried to wean him down to once every two days, he started chasing his tail again. luckily he has not bit it again (that was a nightmare to try and keep a bandage on it). we went back up to once a day, and it seems to be working and then we are going to try every 36 hours for awhile. the vet said though that he may have to stay on it for the rest of his life. I was wondering if anyone had a cat that was successfully weaned off of buspirone, and if it got rid of the underlying problem.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like he has Feline Hyperesthesia. Is that what the Vet said?

Anyway, is there some reason why you don't want to keep him on the Buspirone daily? I mean, if it works and gives him a good quality of life, why not?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no i dont really mind having him on it daily, as long as there are no side affects or anything. and the only, and i mean only way he will eat his pill, and believe me i have tried everything, is wrapped in a tiny piece of imported prosciutto. i think the deli people at the store are getting sick of me coming in for my weekly three pieces of prosciutto. (he wont take it in the prepacked meat, cut too thick) i was just curious if anyone successfully weaned a cat off. the vet did say it was feline hypersesthensia. maybe i'll just ask the vet if we can just go with the once daily and forget about trying to get him off it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you don't seem to be able to just pill him, maybe see if it can be compounded into a transdermal gel. Then you could just rub it into his ear. We did that with one of our cats that even the Vet Tech couldn't pill :rolleyes2:. Not all drugs can be done as transdermal gels, but many can. What we did with our girl was rubbed it into her ear when she was getting heavy duty pets...she never knew what hit her. Same with her other meds, which were injectables every three days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe i'll look into that. we had it made into a supposed good tasting liquid, but that did not work. he'll miss his prosciutto though!