Buspirone

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat on buspirone for anxiety? My cat has been taking it for about four weeks, and it has not seemed to help. he gets bouts of aggressive behavior where he chases and bites his tail, and its awful. we are also trying to integrate some new kittens and i'm sometimes afraid that he will hurt them, although he does not seem aggressive to anyone but himself. He also got super attached to me after he has started this medication, and barely leaves my side

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know anything about it but wanted to mention that there is a cat health forum and perhaps you will get more of a response there

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's been almost a month since you wrote but it looks like none of our members were able to give you the voice of experience you were looking for. :( I'm curious - what did you eventually decide to do about the buspirone prescription? By four weeks, if buspirone was going to work, it should be doing the job already so hopefully you were able to find an anti-anxiety medication that provided your cat with some relief. There are quite a few out there. Is your cat doing any better?

BTW: one of the most common side-effects of buspirone treatment in cats is that they tend to become more affectionate.

I hope things are looking up for you. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has been on it approximately nine weeks now, and I think it has worked. He does not seem to have the bouts of aggression he was having, and while he is occasionally a little anxious, it is less than before. he has been more affectionate, but even that has settled down a little (it was getting to be a bit much). It was very difficult, because he is my husbands little guy, and I was on my own for awhile with two older cats (he being one of them), and trying to integrate the two kittens. My husband is finally with us full time starting tomorrow, actually (he was gone a lot for work), so I am anticipating things even better! thanks for asking. the drugs did not really kick in for five to six weeks, it seemed to me, if anyone else out there is dealing with this drug.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Wow. Five to six weeks - that's a long time! I'm so glad that the meds finally started to work.
catman.gif
Thank you for letting us know how long it took; I'm sure others will be very glad to know this information.

That's good news about your husband being home full time again as of tomorrow!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow. Five to six weeks - that's a long time! I'm so glad that the meds finally started to work. View attachment 213556 Thank you for letting us know how long it took; I'm sure others will be very glad to know this information.

That's good news about your husband being home full time again as of tomorrow!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks it's been a long road and encouragement always helps so mucb

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hows it going with the buspirone. our cat is doing really good, if not somewhat more tired. on march 1, we get to go to one pill a day, which will be awesome. has it worked for you?