Bump On Lower Lip

The Practical Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I've had my new kitty Nymeria for about a month now, and around a week ago she started developing a bump on her lower lip/chin. I've attached some images. I've been doing some online reading and I am wondering if it may be an allergy reaction? At the shelter I was told they suspected she has flea allergy because she'd had fleas and hair thinning. She's since been treated for fleas, however. I got her a couple of new toys last week that I've removed in case they could also be the cause. I've been to the vet a lot lately due to trouble with cat introductions as well as my other cat being sick for a bit, so I will take her in if necessary but I don't want to run in for something that may go away on it's own.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like it could be eosinophilic granuloma, or rodent ulcer. Many times these spring up when the kitty is stressed. I would get her to the vet for diagnosis. Also, you might try running a feliway diffuser to help de-stress the kitty population in your home.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It can also be the result of an allergy. It gets the same name. There's a chance the flea allergy did it. Any changes in treats, food and such? My cat gets that when she eats turkey or fish. A vet would need to confirm it's not something else.

Since you've seen your vet recently you call and offer to send photos. They could tell you if they need to see kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Practical Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses, guys. I already have a felliway defuser in the living room, though Nymeria is currently in the bedroom for the slow introduction between her and my older cat Pandora. Not sure if it's helpful for Nym in another room? Pandora has been the one showing the most stress signs, though.

Nope, no changes to food or treats. The only thing I could think of is a flea or bug bite, or maybe one of the new toys I got her (one has feathers, the other has rope).

The bump may be getting bigger, so I'll be calling the vet for an apt this morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like a rodent ulcer. This is easily treated by a vet but can be nasty if left untreated. Are you able to take her to a vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Practical Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To update, the vet did not think Nymeria has a rodent ulcer, she thought either she bumped herself on something and it became inflamed or it could be an allergy. She did some kind of slide test and saw overgrowth of bacteria but nothing severe, so we're just using kitty "stridex pads" for now and hopefully that clears it up.