Bum Scooting

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I had my 4 year old Siamese cat die suddenly last year from stage 4 cancer and the only symptoms up until the week of his death were very hard stools and bum scooting across the floor. I now have another Siamese cat aged 1 who is also scooting and I'm worried. The vet insists that my 4 year old had a very rare cancer and that my new cat isn't suffering from the same issue but he's still scooting (his stools are normal). Twice, I've retrieved long pieces of grass from his bum after he's scooted, so I'm wondering if it could be because the grass is essentially stringing his stools together and making it harder to get them out? I've read that scooting is abnormal in cats and usually means there's something wrong (but he's been wormed and is generally an indoor cat). Has anyone else ever had this issue? I know I'm extra paranoid because of my other cat but I just can't bear the thought of losing another cat because of this bizarre scooting issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be a bit of constipation, maybe anal gland issues. It's best to take your cat to the vet for a check up. The vet can express the glands if needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he generally indoors, how is he eating so much grass? If his stools are normal, I think as LTS3 LTS3 suggested, it might be anal glands becoming clogged. That can be from a whole host of reasons, even genetics. Have the vet take a look, and see if you can't reduce - if not eliminate - the grass eating just in case it has something to do with it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat occasionally but rarely does that. My guess is that poo gets stuck on her and she can't get it off. If it happens often, take her in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did have his glands drained at the vet but she said there wasn't much there, I'm not sure how much grass he eats but he's not outside for very long so I can't imagine that it's much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only asked about the grass because you said you've seen long pieces of grass from his bum after he has scooted. Did you mention this to the vet, by any chance?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, my father bred hunting dogs. When we saw one of the dogs scooting its butt on the ground, it was often a sign that the dog has worms.

I don't see why it would be any different from cats.

It wouldn't hurt to take your cat to the vet just to be sure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I was a kid, my father bred hunting dogs. When we saw one of the dogs scooting its butt on the ground, it was often a sign that the dog has worms.

I don't see why it would be any different from cats.

It wouldn't hurt to take your cat to the vet just to be sure.
Good point about the worms, since your cat spends time outdoors!