Bullying

gravelgertie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have five cats. They all get along except two of them. This behavior developed over time, it was not an instant dislike. I took in a stray about a year and a half ago. I had him neutered, and he fit into our home. Over time, he started picking on my 13 year old male. It's become so bad, I have to segregate them in different parts of the house. If they do meet, the newer cat attacks my senior. He's frightened him so badly, he's wet himself. If I can't solve this problem, I'm going to have to re-home the newer cat. It would break my heart to do it, but I have to protect my 13 year old. It's not fair that he's threatened in his own home. Any advice? I also wanted to mention that this cat gets along with all the rest except my senior cat.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about trying to separate completely for a time then reintroduce the new cat again? Also try making it clear to jr bullying behavior won't be allowed. I have eight rescues in my home Talia the believed oldest doesn't really like the other cats and attacks when in a mood or simply ticked off. then there Ally who been bossy and nasty to the others. we have what originally was an isolation room turned into the cat room lol. When the cats act up their sent to their room or they lose the place their fighting over. This seems to work for us and just gives them a chance to breath and cool down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gravelgertie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about trying to separate completely for a time then reintroduce the new cat again? Also try making it clear to jr bullying behavior won't be allowed. I have eight rescues in my home Talia the believed oldest doesn't really like the other cats and attacks when in a mood or simply ticked off. then there Ally who been bossy and nasty to the others. we have what originally was an isolation room turned into the cat room lol. When the cats act up their sent to their room or they lose the place their fighting over. This seems to work for us and just gives them a chance to breath and cool down
I have had them separated for at least the last six months. I try to keep them from coming face-to-face, but occasionally I slip up and leave a door open, or let Jr. in when older cat is downstairs. I essentially have my older cat living upstairs and the new cat downstairs. All the younger one has to do is spot the older cat, and he's on him and attacking. When that happens, I go after him, shoo him away with a broom if I have to, and either confine him to one room or put him outside. My poor senior cat is like a prisoner here now. He never goes outside anymore, and spends a lot of his time hiding. It's not like this cat only attacks occasionally. He attacks the other cat the instant he sees him.