Bullying: My Chaucer is a bully. What to do?

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friendly male cat Chaucer is a bully to my sweet female cat Henryetta.

1. Background: Chaucer who has been with me since he was four months old was in the house with me for two years by the time I was able to bring Henryetta in to live with us about six months ago. In fact, today is her one-year anniversary of being an indoor cat - indoor meaning that for several months she had to live in the storage room until she had her kittens and they were all adopted out.  Chaucer was not unacquainted with her because he had seen her outside all the time, sniffed noses through the screen, and when there was just one 4 month old kitten left would be taken out to the storage room for supervised visits with Henryetta and Miss Honeychurch.  He and the kitten got along great since both were high-energy and enjoyed playing together. The kitten wasn't afraid of him.

2. Flash-forward:  It's been six months since Henryetta joined us in the house and the kitten went to her new home.  Both cats are "fixed" and about three years old now.  Henryetta has settled in very well, and a more affectionate cat I have never seen, although she is still afraid of people. The issue is that Chaucer is bullying her somewhat. I know he is the Alpha Cat but any time Henryetta is sleeping somewhere or cuddling with me, he will jump up, start grooming her and then gets aggressive until they "fight" with no claws but he uses his teeth. I got grazed by them when he started this while she was on my lap. Henryetta carries on with screeches, hisses and sometimes growls will run off or go under a nearby piece of furniture and he will settle down with me or go after her. 

They eat together and have no problem using either of the litter boxes. Henryetta trusted Chaucer with her kitten since she hid every time I brought him out to visit and left him alone with Miss Honeychurch.  Henryetta and Chaucer play sometimes together. I can leave them alone at night together and they will sit together at the doors looking outside.

3. Questions/Concerns  Will he eventually settle down and stop this bullying behavior?  What can I do to help?  Is this normal Alpha Cat behavior or is he just very jealous? 

If Henryetta decides to turn the tables, she could seriously hurt him since she is over 12 pounds, thick-skinned, solid, stocky and has some street cred from having lived outside for two years. Chaucer is just under 10 pounds with very thin skin, a lean, long build and no fighting experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want to add that "fight with no claws" means that they don't use their claws. Neither cat is de-clawed.