Bully cat

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our tabby is the first and we brought in 2 kitties.

We did slow introduction. And she tolerates them but bullies them when she can.

2 years later I rescued another kitty. Same thing. The other three get along fine. It's just my first born (lol) that's a bully.

Plenty of posts to jump and hide. Plenty of rooms to escape in. She fights mostly with my other girl and my most recent one (another female) so it sounds to me like it's territorial.

all bowls separated. Resources separate.

Any advice? She's cleared with the vet. So no health issues.we give her extra love all the time.

im going back to diffusers but it didnt seem to work much. I put them in the "problem" areas where they fight often.

i don't want to give up. She had a rough life with being abandoned twice. 💔 So any input would be great.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Females can be particularly cranky about what they perceive as theirs.

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but it might be worth a try;

either with vanilla or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From [IMG alt="valanhb"]https://thecatsite.com/data/avatars/s/1/1991.jpg?1491958259[/IMG] valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", then he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

Also, it's possible that low volume Cat Music can help too :) there are a number of sources, Classical harp music, harp music written for cats, RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and Spotify and youtube

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tell me a little more what you mean by bullying and fighting. Does she bite or scratch them? Has anyone had actual injuries from her?
She chases them for the most part. Guards the stairs so they can't get into our room (which is everyone's safe space). Only once I saw she was in a fight with my second girl and both their fur was disheveled. I had to make a lot of noise to startle them to stop.

To be fair, no growling or hackles raised - but I'd like to avoid for it to come to that.

There's times she actively seeks out my second girl to pick a fight. It's come to the point where they all run when she approaches. I've seen the nose boops but they run away from her after (it's like they're saying..ohh noo..it's you I'm leaving!).

She also marks around the house - she's spayed. And as mentioned, health check is clean. (which is another issue and may have something to do with this?)

But, what's strange (at least to me) she'll climb on my husband (her favorite) or me and snuggle but my other two cats on the same bed. Nothing happens. So I'm at a loss.

Is she just a moody grumpy girl?

I'm getting diffusers and calming drops. It didn't do much last time but maybe I can try again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What you are describing isn't actually a cat fight. It's more of a heated discussion. And sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say. And THAT SAID...how soon do you intervene? Are you able to remain reasonably calm when these arguments break out? How do they react to intervention?

Some cats do seem to be bullies, to some extent. We keep hearing that clowders do not have "alphas," but that is more a matter of definition of the term than actuality. Almost all clowders have a social hierarchy of some sort. And whenever a new cat is added, there is some jockeying for position, with the most...assertive...cat needing to prove their position. Once that's done, you almost don't notice at all, but deference is given to that cat in terms of prime sleeping spots, etc. It is subtle, not overt, but it is there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The spraying says that she is either stressed or has something medical. Make sure that the vet has taken blood and run a full panel on her just to make sure she doesnt have something like diabetes going on. But I suspect it is stress. Be sure that she gets extra one to one cuddling and petting sessions with you. She was an only at one point and she may be missing and needing attention from you. I would also keep a good relaxant like Feliway going and catnip for the whole group.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What you are describing isn't actually a cat fight. It's more of a heated discussion. And sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say. And THAT SAID...how soon do you intervene? Are you able to remain reasonably calm when these arguments break out? How do they react to intervention?

Some cats do seem to be bullies, to some extent. We keep hearing that clowders do not have "alphas," but that is more a matter of definition of the term than actuality. Almost all clowders have a social hierarchy of some sort. And whenever a new cat is added, there is some jockeying for position, with the most...assertive...cat needing to prove their position. Once that's done, you almost don't notice at all, but deference is given to that cat in terms of prime sleeping spots, etc. It is subtle, not overt, but it is there.
I do my best to intervene asap. Usually I come in clapping my hands telling them to both stop and they both run. The "alpha" girl then wants to go out in the catio while my second one runs hiding.

Should I be doing something different?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do my best to intervene asap. Usually I come in clapping my hands telling them to both stop and they both run. The "alpha" girl then wants to go out in the catio while my second one runs hiding.

Should I be doing something different?
Well, you're having them both associate the others with the loud clapping and yelling when they interact which could be more stress. Some people have used a peice of cardboard with good success.

You want to have them associate one another with positive things.

You could try a reintroduction period, but if they are mostly fine out together I think that might be "rolling it back" too far. Taking a used shirt of yours and rubbing it on each cat and then around the house will start then associating a family smell.

Who is still doing playtime with you? For how long? That lowers stress energy.

Do the altercations happen in specific areas? If yes, it's good to assess those areas for "pathways". Check what resource is being tusseled over and then ensure there are 3 to 4 pathways to and from that resource, where possible. If you own your home, you could consider cat shelves on the side of your stairs if suitable.

Too, we have to remember that swatting, chomping, chasing those are all parts of play too..so yes, we don't want that to turn rough, aggressive or into a true fight, but we also don't want those behaviours to stop as for cats that's part of relationship and trust building.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tend to agree with others, so far what you're describing is just cats that are determining who rules this place. Love the cardboard method above and will be trying that myself. I have a similar issue with deciding what is too much (since one is a 4 month old and more easily bullied/injured, plus she's ill) but realize that she needs to have it out with the others and not have me interfere all the time.

If I sense that the little one is uncomfortable or seems stressed I will gently interfere by calling the big cats names calmly and saying "be gentle", if they're not being aggressive towards me I will just pat them while doing it or pick them up. I also added a lot of hidey holes for her to get in that are deep enough the big cats can't paw her from outside.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, you're having them both associate the others with the loud clapping and yelling when they interact which could be more stress. Some people have used a peice of cardboard with good success.

You want to have them associate one another with positive things.

You could try a reintroduction period, but if they are mostly fine out together I think that might be "rolling it back" too far. Taking a used shirt of yours and rubbing it on each cat and then around the house will start then associating a family smell.

Who is still doing playtime with you? For how long? That lowers stress energy.

Do the altercations happen in specific areas? If yes, it's good to assess those areas for "pathways". Check what resource is being tusseled over and then ensure there are 3 to 4 pathways to and from that resource, where possible. If you own your home, you could consider cat shelves on the side of your stairs if suitable.

Too, we have to remember that swatting, chomping, chasing those are all parts of play too..so yes, we don't want that to turn rough, aggressive or into a true fight, but we also don't want those behaviours to stop as for cats that's part of relationship and trust building.
You took the words right off of my fingertips, and added a few I hadn't thought of!

YES, THIS!