Built Some Wall-Walking Cat-Ramps for Max!

maxkitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check it out. I built these ramps for my cat to walk around on the walls! He loves 'em! Sometimes he even sleeps up there. ;) Sorry about the video quality..it was a bit dark and the iPhone camera was having a bit of a time adjusting. This was the first day he had access to the ramps. I'll probably add more soon. 

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sooo neat, what you have done!  I've seen ramps like those for purchase online and thought I'd like to make some one day.  I'll need to learn how to use a drill and a saw first.  It's such a cat friendly thing to do to give them that type of space....good job.

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like!

When I redo my den, I'm planning on making it super cat friendly.  This would be an awesome way to use part of the wall, and my girls would love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxkitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad ye like!

Yeah, Max LOVES it. He loves that alcove up there just because it's so high and he sometimes just scampers around seemingly enjoying just being up there. Sometimes, he'll sleep on a high shelf, or just race around on them. I knew he loved to climb the day I adopted him, but pretty much all cats who are fairly young love heights and climbing, right? 

I plan to add a few more shelves. Right now, the bookcase top serves as a shelf but I'm going to put a small shelf above that to even out the flow a bit, so it's less challenging. I'll probably add more shelves around the room so it completes the circle and so he can watch me while I am on the PC too, or look out  the window from a different angle. 

Building  the ramps is easy once you get the right tools. Basically, it's this:

• A few pieces of 1x12" wood or so. I got the wider stuff coz I wanted him to be able to be comfortable up high and even sleep there, which he does. It's a good quality wood, and Home Depot even cut it for me. 
  • Old carpet remnants, or purchase some new carpet. I happened to have plenty of red carpet left from when Empire carpeted my studio...and even before I had a cat I knew I wanted to use it for cat ramps so I kept it.
  • Utility razor knife (for cutting carpet)
  • Bookshelf brackets. I got long ones which give me more support. They don't look as good as hidden brackets, but Max loves to race around and I knew he'd be harder on the shelves.
  • Screws for brackets. These kits are intended to go into the wood shelf and the wall. One pack=2 brackets. No extra drilling needed for pilot holes. Just screw and go. With an electric drill it's a snap...or a screw.
  • Powered staple gun. Not necessary for it to be powered, but it SURE helps and it makes building these things a pleasure. Not very expensive either. Maybe 20 bucks or so? Super fun too.
What I found was the easiest method is this. First, drill brackets on to wood, taking care to allow wood to be flush with wall, or close to it. I spaced the brackets apart reasonably, but not too near the edges. Then, I cut carpet into squares which match the length of the wood and gave me extra to wrap around the front, creating a pleasing look and plenty of overhang carpet for kitty to grip when sleeping or sitting. Align carpet on top of wood shelf (nearest wall) and staple in on the back. I used 4-5 staples to flatten it out nicely, making sure to hit the corners. Then, wrap carpet over brackets and staple around brackets. It hides the brackets somewhat from the bottom and provides even more support. Trim any excess carpet, if needed. 

I left the side edges exposed because I didn't want any inconsistent change in height as the cat ran from shelf to shelf, or anything that would trip him up. Cats are pretty agile but I wasn't taking chances. The way I have it, it's very uniform and the kitty knows what to expect from shelf to shelf. 

Get a sturdy step-stool and start screwing in shelves with  the bracket screws, into the wall. This part can be tricky, but align the screw, use the drill to provide pressure into the wall and the screws basically start their own holes rather nicely. Snug 'em down but not overly tight. Four screws per shelf is sturdy...even in regular drywall. Certainly good for a 7lb. cat. I call it 'interactive pop-art'. 

Take videos, upload to YouTube and share your work on TheCatSite.com! 

Last edited: